Location: Barcelona, London, New York, or Washington D.C. preferred;
Forests are crucial to all life on Earth. They capture and store carbon and are one of the most promising, large-scale, and cost-effective opportunities to combat climate change. Rainforests also sustain rainfalls, food supply, vital ecosystems, and livelihoods for over a billion people. Protecting them is not just a moral imperative, it is essential for a stable, prosperous, and sustainable future for us all. As the COVID-19 crisis highlights, we live in a fragile and interconnected world where sustainability cannot be taken for granted.
There is no pathway to the goals of the Paris Agreement that does not include keeping these vital carbon sinks intact. Emergent helps safeguard the world’s tropical forests by building a global market for forest carbon credits. Countries generate these credits by reducing deforestation and tropical deforestation (called “REDD+”). For forest countries, Emergent provides a guaranteed source of demand by facilitating access to a range of high-volume buyers, backed by a purchase guarantee from donors, giving countries the certainty needed to make investments in forest protection and chart a new course For buyers, Emergent provides access to the highest-quality REDD+ credits, enabling them to meet their climate neutrality goals. Emergent has recently assembled the largest ever public/private partnership for tropical forest protection: the $1bn LEAF Coalition, launched at the COP26 World Leaders’ Summit.
Emergent is expanding, and looking for several new team members to join at analyst/associate level. Roles are likely to involve a blend of tasks across four of Emergent’s teams: Demand, building a pipeline of corporate demand for high-integrity credits; Supply, securing the right to sell these credits from tropical forest governments around the world; Transactions, matching buyers and sellers in order to execute credit contracts and transactions; and Fund Management & Reporting, ensuring funds from credit sales are deployed to pre-agreed forest protection programmes. We’re looking for exceptional people, able to exercise a high degree of autonomy and take on significant responsibility, identifying problems and recommending and implementing solutions. In return, we offer the chance to be part of an extraordinary, high-impact endeavour, intended to slow and halt tropical deforestation permanently.
Requirements of the Role
- 2-5 years of professional experience in management consulting, social impact organizations, start-ups or finance; and/or demonstrated experience supporting project management, operations, or implementation.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
Essential experience and attributes:
- Ability to operate remotely. Emergent is a largely virtual team, although we aim to build the team out in 2-3 hubs as the COVID-19 pandemic passes
- Razor-sharp analytical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced analytical and numerical competency
- Passion for the mission of Emergent
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills
- Willingness and ability to work within a small team start-up environment
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and often virtual team environment
- Ability to deliver consistently high levels of accuracy, efficiency and follow-through
- Adept at making assessments quickly and identifying the best course of action.
- Experience working in a start-up environment
- Some experience of carbon markets, development funders, and international climate policy would be an advantage.
Applicants must have work authorization in the US, UK, or Spain.
Emergent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, local or other applicable laws.
Please include your cover letter and resume here as a single PDF document when applying.