Technical Assistance Consultant
- Remote, unknown
- Employees can work remotely
Emergent is a non-profit organization with the sole mission of accelerating the speed and scale of tropical forest conservation to combat the climate crisis. With an international team of world-class climate experts and a board with deep private and public sector experience, Emergent is supported by a coalition including the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF), the Rockefeller Foundation, and the Norwegian government’s International Climate and Forest Initiative (NICFI). Emergent, serves as the platform to facilitate transactions and as the administrative coordinator of the Lowering Emissions by Accelerating Forest Finance (LEAF) Coalition, which uses the independent and rigorous ART-TREES standard to verify emissions reductions from deforestation. LEAF is an initiative with initial participation from the governments of Norway, the United Kingdom, the United States, and leading companies including Amazon, Airbnb, Bayer, Boston Consulting Group, GSK, McKinsey, Nestlé, Salesforce, and Unilever. Participants in the Coalition will support high-quality emissions reductions from tropical and subtropical forest countries, enabling efforts to reduce and end deforestation.
Duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Conduct “gap analysis” to initially identify main areas where Technical Assistance (TA) is needed and what the gaps are (e.g., resources, capacity, etc.) in terms of readiness for jurisdictions engaged with the LEAF Coalition.
- Map existing TA resources for jurisdictions engaged with the LEAF Coalition, including identifying which organizations and initiatives are best capable of implementing and funding relevant readiness work across different geographies and substantive areas.
- Identify synergies and areas of collaboration with other organizations and initiatives offering TA or other support in jurisdictions engaged with LEAF (e.g., FCPF, UN agencies, CAFI, USAID, REM/KfW, GGC).
- Develop a strategy—including criteria to prioritize jurisdictions that will receive TA support—that will serve as a starting point to operationalize the ‘match-making’ of TA allocation for jurisdictions participating in the LEAF Coalition with external parties.
- Identify pledges and initiatives aligned with LEAF and collect them in a coherent way to be able to discuss when we announce LEAF at COP.
- Over 5 years of experience working on REDD+ related concepts, policies and best practices including the carbon accounting and social and environmental safeguards requirements
- Strong familiarity or direct work experience with REDD+ implementation landscape and climate finance organizations and their readiness facilities (e.g., FCPF, GCF, UN Agencies, etc.)
- Comfortable with synthesizing and effectively communicating about detailed information
- Strong analytical skills
- Effective communication with team members and external stakeholders
- Proficiency in English
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe suite
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Excellent communication skills across various functional teams and executive management, including the ability to communicate between technical and non-technical contributors
- Familiarity with the ART-TREES framework used by LEAF and other comparable standards that clients may be familiar with (VCS, Gold Standard, Plan Vivo, FCPF Methodological Framework, GCF RBP Pilot Scorecard, etc.)
- Proficiency with Spanish, French or Portuguese
- Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Technical project or program implementation experience
Please include your cover letter and resume as a single PDF document when applying.
This is a 60 day consulting position with the possibility of an extension.
The ideal candidate will be available to start immediately.
Application deadline is September 30, 2021.