Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities Outreach and Engagement Consultant
- Remote, OTHER
- Employees can work remotely
Emergent is a non-profit organization with the sole mission of accelerating the speed and scale of tropical forest conservation to combat the climate crisis. With an international team of world-class climate experts and a board with deep private and public sector experience, Emergent is supported by a coalition including the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF), the Rockefeller Foundation, and the Norwegian government’s International Climate and Forest Initiative (NICFI). Emergent serves as the platform to facilitate transactions and as the administrative coordinator of the Lowering Emissions by Accelerating Forest finance (LEAF) Coalition, which uses the independent and rigorous ART-TREES standard to verify emissions reductions from deforestation. LEAF is an initiative with initial participation from the governments of Norway, the United Kingdom, the United States, and leading companies including Amazon, Airbnb, Bayer, Boston Consulting Group, GSK, McKinsey, Nestlé, Salesforce, and Unilever. Participants in the Coalition will support high-quality emissions reductions from tropical and subtropical forest countries, enabling efforts to reduce and end deforestation.
Emergent’s supply team is responsible for the direct outreach to, and communication with, tropical and sub-tropical forest jurisdictions, and for securing the volume for the LEAF Coalition, as well as Emergent’s other (non-LEAF) transactions.
Duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Develop a landscape mapping of Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities (IPLC) organizations, including their 1.) interests in REDD+, ART-TREES and/or LEAF, 2.) existing engagement with the LEAF Coalition and/or its extended network, 3.) relevant geographies, and 4.) level of awareness of the LEAF Coalition and/or ART-TREES as well as other initiatives with the potential to create opportunities and risks for such communities.
- Organize and facilitate, in close coordination with current IPLC partners and networks, IPLC workshops (including workshops being organized by COICA and OPIAC), listening sessions, and webinars around topics such as REDD+, climate finance opportunities, LEAF, ART-TREES, etc.
- Help manage LEAF stakeholder engagement group, including scheduling and facilitating weekly meetings, synthesizing discussion documents, following up with any to-dos that emerge from meetings, communicating main findings, questions, suggestions, and concerns with broader LEAF Coalition, and serving as a key focal point of the group.
- Help manage IPLC Advisory Panel, including convening weekly meetings and presenting key issues, facilitating feedback loops to the LEAF Coalition and Emergent, as well as assisting in related tasks.
- Conduct active outreach to IPLC groups, in close coordination with IPLC partners and networks, identifying opportunities to collaborate with other partners on joint outreach opportunities (via bilateral conversations, informational webinars, etc.).
- Track outreach that LEAF Coalition and partners are doing to ensure we’re reaching out to the right people and managing correspondence.
- Participate in communications working group (weekly) and serve as focal point between stakeholder engagement group and comms working group.
- Design and manage feedback mechanisms relating to IPLC issues to LEAF, including presenting issues to the Core Advisory Group (CAG) and other LEAF Coalition sub-groups.
- 5+ years’ relevant experience;
- Proficiency with REDD+ related concepts, policies and best practices including the social and environmental safeguards requirements;
- Strong familiarity with IPLC issues/priorities, networks, and groups;
- Proficiency with stakeholder engagement processes;
- Effective communication with team members and external stakeholders;
- Proficiency in English and Spanish and/or Portuguese;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe suite; and
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple workstreams at once.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise:
- Excellent communication skills across various functional teams and executive management, including the ability to communicate between technical and non-technical contributors;
- Experience organizing and managing virtual events, and managing processes involving multiple stakeholders;
- Field experience working in the implementation of REDD+ programs in Africa, Latin America or Asia • Preference for position to be filled by IPLC representative, or individual with extensive existing connections to and familiarity with IPLC networks;
- Proficiency in Spanish, French and/or Portuguese and/or an Indigenous language;
- Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word; and
- Technical project or program implementation experience.
Please include your cover letter and resume as a single PDF document when applying.
This is a 60 day consulting position with the possibility of an extension.
The ideal candidate will be available to start immediately.
Application deadline is September 30, 2021.