Senior Manager, Finance & Operations
- New York, NY, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Forests are crucial to all life on Earth. They capture and store carbon and are one of the most promising, large-scale, and cost-effective opportunities to combat climate change. Rainforests also sustain rainfalls, food supply, vital ecosystems, and livelihoods for over a billion people. Protecting them is not just a moral imperative, it is essential for a stable, prosperous, and sustainable future for us all. Emergent is a non-profit that helps safeguard the world’s tropical forests by building a global market for a new form of carbon credits. Countries generate these credits by reducing deforestation and tropical deforestation (called “REDD+”). For forest countries, Emergent provides a guaranteed source of demand by facilitating access to private sector buyers, backed by a purchase guarantee from donors, giving countries the certainty needed to make lasting investments in forest protection at national scale. Emergent is supported by the government of Norway, the Environmental Defense Fund, the Rockefeller Foundation and others.
Emergent is a US-registered 501(c)(4) non-profit, so the primary responsibilities of this role will relate to the financial management of that entity, including those involving third parties. About half of the Emergent team is based in Spain, including the Executive Director. They are employed through a separate legal entity, and this role will include responsibility for the financial management of that entity, working with a local law firm via an outsourced service contract.
Reporting to the Managing Director – Strategy and Operations (MDSO), the Senior Manager, Finance & Operations will lead on finance and accounting for this dynamic startup. They will be expected to exercise a high degree of autonomy and take on significant responsibility. An ideal candidate will have a recognized accounting qualification and broad experience in non-profit finance/accounting. Experience in human resources (HR) and non-profit operations management would be a significant advantage. Although the primary focus of the role is accounting and finance, willingness to flex into other areas, if necessary, with specialist external support, will be essential. We expect that the role holder will need to build a small team to support them as Emergent grows.
Since Emergent’s inception in 2019, its financial, HR and operations support has been provided by the Global Development Incubator. A body of experience, processes and documentation has been established which can be handed over gradually. The intent is to exit from GDI support, although there is flexibility to retain elements of it as required.
- Manage accounts payable and receivable, ensuring costs are appropriately documented and approved, records kept and payments made efficiently.
- Manage accounting schedules, and prepare and enter month end closing entries, including allocation of costs and recognition of revenue.
- Support the annual audit and preparation of Emergent tax forms and filings.
- Prepare and upload payroll, tax, and benefits payments and serve as the primary point of contact for offices in the US and Spain.
Primary: Internal financial management
- Track Emergent’s operating budget, including preparation of monthly financial reports.
- Work with the executive team and board to communicate organisational financial performance, risks and recommendations.
- Establish and lead planning, budgeting and forecasting processes for Emergent.
- Compliance. Emergent is principally funded by a grant from the Norwegian government. Currently, the bulk of the work relating to management of this grant is done on our behalf by the Environmental Defense Fund. The holder of this role will be asked to take the day-to-day lead in building and leading that capacity in-house, in terms of identifying compliance requirements and establishing appropriate processes and policies to meet them.
Secondary: Operations and HR
- Supporting the MDSO in a range of functions for Emergent, working with specialist providers where necessary. This includes procurement, office management, IT, corporate policies, organisational performance management, managing compensation and benefits, learning & development, and others.
Essential experience and attributes:
- A recognized US accounting qualification with demonstrated knowledge/experience of US GAAP.
- 8-10 years’ experience in non-profit operations management, including finance and accounting, human resources, grant/contract management and business operations.
- Detail-oriented, and able to deliver consistently high levels of efficiency and follow-through.
- Ability to systematise and to process large volumes of information.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills, especially in communicating complex financial information to management teams and boards.
- Ability to thrive within an entrepreneurial, small team start-up environment.
- Decisiveness and good judgement.
- Proven ability to build and lead a team.
- Proven aptitude to manage multiple projects and competing priorities.
- Passion for the mission of Emergent.
- Ability to operate remotely. Emergent is a largely virtual team, although we aim to build the team out in 2-3 hubs, including US East Coast, as the COVID-19 pandemic passes.
- Experience preparing, negotiating and executing complex multi-party contracts.
- Familiarity with transactional/trading environments, ideally with exposure to carbon credits.
- Familiarity with the international climate policy framework, including UNFCCC, REDD+, Paris Agreement, etc.
Applicants must have work authorization in the US.
Emergent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, local or other applicable laws.
Please include your cover letter and resume as a single PDF document when applying.