Analyst - Business development
- New York, NY, USA
Emergent operates in Barcelona, London, New York, and Washington D.C., and is looking for applicants able to work in any one of these locations.
Forests are crucial to all life on Earth. They capture and store carbon and are one of the most promising, large-scale, and cost-effective opportunities to combat climate change. Rainforests also sustain rainfalls, food supply, vital ecosystems, and livelihoods for over a billion people. Protecting them is not just a moral imperative, it is essential for a stable, prosperous, and sustainable future for us all. As the COVID-19 crisis highlights, we live in a fragile and interconnected world where sustainability cannot be taken for granted.
There is increasing recognition of the urgency of climate change. The Paris Agreement in 2015 committed governments to keep the increase in global average temperature to well below 2 °C above pre-industrial levels. 760 major corporations have committed to climate neutrality, and over 40 countries have implemented some form of carbon pricing scheme. After two decades of putting necessary, effective, high integrity standards and market mechanisms in place, The Emergent Forest Finance Accelerator (“Emergent”) has the historic opportunity to channel this momentum to solving the deforestation crisis.
Emergent helps safeguard the world’s tropical forests by building a global market for forest carbon credits. Countries generate these credits by reducing deforestation and tropical deforestation (called “REDD+”). For forest countries, Emergent provides a guaranteed source of demand by facilitating access to a range of high-volume buyers, backed by a purchase guarantee from donors, giving countries the certainty needed to make investments in forest protection and chart a new course For buyers, Emergent provides access to the highest-quality REDD+ credits, enabling them to meet their climate neutrality goals. Emergent is supported by the government of Norway, the Environmental Defense Fund, the Rockefeller Foundation and the David & Lucile Packard Foundation.
Reporting to the Managing Director, Commercial (MDC), and the VP Markets, this Analyst role is critical. About 50% of the role will be focused on business development, supporting the VP Markets and MDC in managing the buyer pipeline and CRM, researching new companies, and developing outreach materials. The remainder will be split across a range of tasks and responsibilities, acting as a ‘utility player’ in Emergent’s dynamic startup environment. Although they will work closely with their supervisor, the Analyst is expected to exercise a high degree of autonomy and take on significant responsibility, identifying problems and recommending and implementing solutions.
- Manage Emergent’s pipeline tracking and reporting capabilities.
- Participate in regular video calls with the Emergent leadership team, advisors, and Board.
- Support execution of a demand strategy and pipeline that will drive high volumes of credits through Emergent, including direct sales and development of channel partnerships.
- Support definition and development of marketing materials, proposals, pitch documents, etc, including in partnership with external brand/comms agencies.
- Preparation of analytical and presentation materials.
- May support other operational activities as needed.
- 1-3 years of professional experience in management consulting, social impact organizations, start-ups or finance; and/or demonstrated experience supporting project management, operations, or implementation.
- BA/BS degree
Essential experience and attributes:
- Ability to operate remotely. Emergent is a largely virtual team, although we aim to build the team out in 2-3 hubs as the COVID-19 pandemic passes
- Razor-sharp analytical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced analytical and numerical competency
- Passion for the mission of Emergent
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills
- Willingness and ability to work within a small team start-up environment
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and often virtual team environment
- Ability to deliver consistently high levels of accuracy, efficiency and follow-through
- Adept at making assessments quickly and identifying the best course of action.
- Experience working in a start-up environment
- Some experience of carbon markets, development funders, and international climate policy would be an advantage.
Emergent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, local or other applicable laws.
Applicants must have work authorization in the US, UK, or Spain.
Please include your cover letter and resume as a single PDF document when applying.