Vice President of Accounting and Finance
- Chicago, IL, USA
Elevate K-12 is changing the way classrooms work through live, online, real-time instruction to K-12 schools. Our two main focuses are to give students the best quality instructors and get them ready for the world of the future and to give instructors, especially women, work opportunities, irrespective of zip codes. We are the new way to classroom!
If you are an accounting expert and looking to be a part of the scaling company while making a social impact, this could be a great fit! We are looking for an individual that has a passion for finance and accounting--including financial operations, financial strategy, financial management, reporting, risk management, tax planning, compliance and investor relations. This role will be a key contributor to the executive leadership team and will report directly to the CEO.
- Administration, execution and oversight of company-wide accounting and finance functions. This includes general ledger, payroll, tax, procurement, treasury, risk management compliance, raising capital, and investor relations.
- Prepare budgets, forecasting, and financial models to manage the business
- Maintain and improve current accounting processes
- Monitor, develop, communicate and manage KPI’s
- Work closely with leadership team to develop key business strategies and drive business objectives across the organization
- Own communication of the finances with senior leadership, investors, the board and potential investors
- Raise capital through a variety of instruments, and recommending different strategies based on the needs of the business
- Coordinate with our attorneys, bankers and tax advisors for financial related matters
- Running an audit process
- Own key contract negotiations
- Manage Accounting/Finance Team
Financial Reporting and Controls:
- Lead and formalize the month-end and annual closing process
- Generate and understand financials, KPIs and metrics that will be used to measure our progress and performance
- Lead the consolidating process
- Lead and interface with outside CPAs for annual audit and tax filing engagements to ensure financial condition in-line with audits; collaborate with external auditors
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Document and maintain system of accounting policies and procedures
- Produce account analyses on balance sheet accounts monthly
- Analyze income statement accounts monthly for trends and variances
- Assist with the recording and processing of accounting transactions as needed and provide back-up support and review. As necessary, institute journal entries and the related processes
- Lead weekly and monthly flash reporting initiatives
- Supervise the payroll function to ensure effective collaboration between the payroll team and HR
- Ensure payments and payroll are done efficiently and accurately
- Lead the year-end reporting for W-2 and 1099
- Supervise and analyze the expense reimbursement process
- Monitors budget to actual reporting
- Prepares budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans
- Supervises cash management forecasting and analysis
- Achieves budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions
- Drive process improvement in the AP function
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by understanding existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions
- Coordinates annual reporting including W-2, 1099’s
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
What you will need:
- Bachelor's degree and experience in finance, accounting or related field. Masters degree (CPA and/or MBA strongly preferred).
- 10 plus years of financial and accounting experience
- Public Accounting Experience required
- Prior experience in an investor-backed, high-growth, and/or startup environment a big-plus
- Previous knowledge and execution of fundraising efforts
- Comfortable with ambiguity and constant change
- Ability to build, improve and manage financial reporting and analytics of the function
- Analytical and metrics driven individual. The ability to interpret and communicate complex data.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Detail oriented with strong organization skills
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.