Geospatial Software Engineer (Can be Remote)
- Alexandria, VA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
About Element 84
Element 84 is here to help accelerate and scale projects that have a positive impact on people and the planet. We solve challenging problems across a wide range of industries, but our super power is cloud-based geospatial data processing, remote sensing, and Earth science systems. We were founded by husband-and-wife engineers in 2010 and have grown into a skilled group of practitioners building high-performance systems for the biggest corporate and government clients in the world. Our main office is located in Alexandria, VA but we support a large remote workforce from Michigan to Texas and Pennsylvania to California.
A Few Other Things You Should Know
- Element 84's values are: We Invest in Each Other, We are Reliable, and Our Work Benefits our World.
- Element 84 works on meaningful projects that are challenging—from a technical, people, and team perspective. We make an impact on large projects through our leadership and expertise, both formal and informal.
- Element 84 pays well but we care more about working on projects that matter.
- Element 84 values life outside of work. We offer parental leave for everyone and support each other through family challenges like medical problems, adoptions, and new babies.
- Element 84 has had a flexible work schedule since our founding in 2010.
- Element 84 has made a commitment to diversity. We expect the entire team to share that same commitment.
You are curious about the world, are constantly learning, driven to lead (formally or informally), and have a strong work ethic. You're interested in solving impactful problems in science, medicine, and other projects that have a societal good. You can work independently or with a team, prioritize your projects, and be effective without micromanagement.
About the Job
Element 84 is hiring a Geospatial Software Engineer to join our team in building software that uses the latest cloud-based capabilities and technologies for meaningful projects in the public and private sector. You'll join a small team of multidisciplinary designers and front-end engineers working to solve challenging problems in geospatial, healthcare, disaster response, and transportation. We're a small company with big roles, and you'll be able to make an impact on day one.
You'll care about writing. Our team is remote and written communication is essential. In addition to caring about a well-crafted email and a succinct conference abstract, you understand that good writing is good design and engineering.
Please submit your information, resume and cover letter if you are interested in this permanent position in the Washington, DC metro area. Remote candidates welcome.
Here are the guidelines we're looking at to gauge experience and skillset:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, GIS Systems, or other related scientific or technical discipline (or equivalent).
- Knowledge and understanding of Cloud computing.
- Knowledge and experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technologies and software packages and tools.
- Experience developing in data languages for Earth science data, including Python
- Proficiency working in a UNIX/Linux command-line environment and shell scripting
- Experience with reading, subsetting, interpreting, and utilizing geospatially referenced and structured data for research and applications.
- Familiarity with the git source code management system
- Computational geometry knowledge.
- Prior scientific programming experience.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Strong motivation for complex challenges and learning new technologies
- Willingness to support fully operational systems (with a team, of course!) and travel to support project meetings and conferences
- Be authorized to work in the US without sponsorship.
- Familiarity and experience in metadata standards (e.g. ISO19115, STAC, NASA UMM, etc.) and conventions (Climate and Forecasting).
- AWS, GCP or Azure experience and certifications
- Authorship or co-authorship on scientific or technical posters or papers within the domain of remote sensing data
- Experience with development and delivery of software documentation, such as requirements documents, test plans, and design description documents
This position may be governed by a federal contract which requires the applicant to be a U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization. Element 84 is unable to sponsor applicants for work visas at this time.
Paying attention to who we are as a company–people, family members, friends, and colleagues–is our primary focus at Element 84. There are lots of ways to run a company and for us, it's wanting to come to work, being around people we enjoy, taking on big things with people you trust, and sharing our achievements as a team.
- You’ll get credit when things go right and we’ll have your back when things go wrong.
- We only take on work that is challenging and right for us. There are projects we will turn down and the team has a say.
- We may be a small company, but we have big company benefits meant to support the idea that we're here for the long term and happiness comes from much more than where you work.
- We have an extraordinary retention rate because we hire extraordinary people. We hope that’s you.
Element 84 is an equal opportunity employer, with a company culture that values diversity.
We embrace inclusivity and believe that diversity of thought, perspective, and experience helps us reach higher and think bigger. Element 84 is committed to hiring the best person for the team and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.