Senior DevOps/Cloud Engineer (Can be Remote)
- Alexandria, VA, USA
We're Element 84 and we're taking on some of the biggest challenges in software: petabyte search, consumer streaming, and Earth science repositories, just to name a few. We are a team of gamers, musicians, artists, pitmasters, pilots, and tinkerers and we think you might have fun helping us solve some big problems. Element 84 was founded by husband-and-wife engineers and has grown into a skilled group of developers, designers, project managers, and business team that build high performance systems for some of the biggest corporate and government clients in the world. Our main office is located in Alexandria, VA but we support a large remote workforce from Michigan to Texas and Pennsylvania to Colorado.
Paying attention to who we are -- as a company, as people, as family members, friends, and colleagues, is probably the biggest part of who we are. There are lots of ways to run a company and you have probably experienced more than your share. For us, it's wanting to come to work, being around people we enjoy, taking on big things with people you trust, and sharing our achievements as a team.
- You’ll get credit when things go right and we’ll have your back when things go wrong.
- We only take on work that is challenging and right for us. There are projects we will turn down and the team has a say.
- We may be a small company, but we have big company benefits meant to support the idea that we're here for the long term and that happiness comes from much more than just where you work, including 401k, health & dental insurance, life & disability insurance, flexible schedule, cell phone stipend, flexible spending accounts for transportation and dependent care and a generous PTO policy.
We have an extraordinary retention rate because we only hire extraordinary people. We hope that’s you.
Element 84 is looking for an experienced DevOps engineer with strong Amazon Web Services experience to support multiple projects, primarily working in the Remote Sensing/Health Sciences domain. This engineer will work with teams to create and debug features for complex operational systems to ensure they operate and scale smoothly. The ideal candidate would have experience deploying enterprise software within Amazon Web Services.
Please submit your information, resume and cover letter if you are interested in this permanent position in the Washington, DC metro area. Remote candidates welcome.
- Working experience with serverless technologies in AWS, Google Cloud or other widely used Cloud Platform
- Willingness to support 24x7 operations (with help, of course!) as needed
- 5+ years of experience working in software development, 3+ years working with Cloud Technologies
- Experience working with an Agile Development software team
- Experience with infrastructure monitoring tools (Nagios, New Relic, Splunk, etc.)
- Strong experience with data engineering tools and technologies (SQL, NoSQL, DynamoDB, Redshift, Athena, Glue, etc.)
- Strong experience with Linux environments
- Working experience of cloud architecture patterns and tradeoffs (Serverless, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Experience with web server technologies (Nginx, Puma, Unicorn, and/or Tomcat)
- Experience with machine learning
- PCI or HIPAA experience
- Experience with build and deployment automation (Bamboo, TeamCity, and/or Jenkins)
- Familiarity with Node.js and Python
- Ability to clearly document and communicate architectural concepts at multiple levels
- B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related fields or equivalent experience
Element 84 is an equal opportunity employer, with a company culture that values diversity. We embrace inclusivity and believe that diversity of thought, perspective, and experience helps us reach higher and think bigger. Element 84 is committed to hiring the best person for the team and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. If you are interested in joining us, we want to hear from you!