Spanish/English Public Health Specialist
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements, and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
EDC’s approach to equity, diversity, and inclusion is grounded in EDC’s commitment to respect the dignity of each individual. EDC has a commitment to promoting equity and access to high quality education and health services that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. EDC expresses its commitment to increasing equity through its strategies, services and products, which contribute to building capacity and transforming lives.
This position is based in the Waltham, MA office but remote or hybrid workers in Massachusettes or adjacent states will be considered.
The Health Promotion, Practice, and Innovation (HPPI) portfolio includes a range of projects that aim to promote social and emotional wellbeing, promote mental and behavioral health, and to prevent risky behaviors such as substance misuse, violence, and suicide.
The Strategic Prevention Technical Assistance Center (SPTAC) is a SAMHSA-funded (contracted to EDC) national training and technical assistance system dedicated to advancing the application of culturally responsive, evidence-informed substance misuse prevention efforts.
The SPTAC project, within the HPPI Portfolio, has an opening for a full-time Spanish/English Public Health Specialist, reporting to our SPTAC Regional Director for HHS Public Health Regions 1 and 2. We expect this position to have a primary focus on substance misuse prevention, but may also incorporate suicide prevention, violence prevention, and related behavioral health concerns. Selected candidates could transition between these and other areas.
- Participate in complex projects to provide professional development training and technical assistance
- Lead facilitation of adult learning and web-based learnig
- Coordinate communications, project activities, administrative and logistical tasks
- Analyze trends and and identify opportunities
- Assist with proposal development and project implementation
- Write and edit instructional materials
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
Skills & Experience:
- Multilingual in written and spoken Spanish and English
- Experience working on behavioral health issues or mental health promotion at the state or local level
- Strong project management and coordination skills
- Solid experience with computer applications, instructional design, multimedia techniques (ex. Zoom, Microsoft Office), and Internet research
- Demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups both in-person and virtually; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience:
- Master's degree or educational certification in a related field
- Experience working with substance misuse prevention
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Research shows that individuals from historically marginalized groups find themselves meeting many of the criteria of a job posting, yet doubting if they should apply. At EDC, we value and strive for a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. Equity and excellence are inseparable. If you meet some of the preferred requirements but not all of them, and feel aligned with our vision and mission, we encourage you to apply.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit both a cover letter and a resume. Applicants are advised to combine their cover letter and resume into a single file for submission. The cover letter should be a succinct statement of interest to include highlights of relevant qualifications, to specifically include language fluency, experience for the role desired, and capacity to travel locally, and should not exceed two pages. The resume should not exceed three pages. Candidates selected for an interview may be asked to provide writing samples and/or participate in exercises to demonstrate skills and experience as part of the interview process.
EDC offers the following comprehensive benefits package for all eligible employees:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 12 paid holidays
- Generous vacation benefits for full- and part-time employees
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Tuition and transportation reimbursement
- Robust retirement plan with TIAA/CREF (Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association/College Retirement Equities Fund)
- Paid sick time and up to 16 hours of personal time annually
- Parental leave
- Employee assistance program
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of approximately $58,000 to $69,000. Salary offers are made based on market analysis and internal equity.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the EDC job opportunities website as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by e-mailing Liz Christensen or by calling her at 800-225-4276 or 617-618-2329.