Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The primary purpose of the 3-year, USAID-funded Ibitabo Hose Kubana Bose (IHKB) Project is to strengthen the market system for teaching and learning materials and increase the quantity, quality, affordability, and accessibility of books and other reading materials (physical and digital) in schools, homes, and communities, contributing to improved reading outcomes.
The Accountant will assist the Finance and Admin Manager in performing project accounting tasks. S/he will be responsible for preparing timely and accurate financial reports and assisting in the preparation of financial spreadsheets, cash flow forecasts, data entry and back up files scanning, corresponding with vendors, as appropriate, and ensuring the project is compliant with USAID financial regulations. This position reports to the Finance and Admin Manager. This is a full-time position based in Kigali, Rwanda. (no relocation allowances are provided for this position).
Essential functions include, but not limited to the following:
- Supports the Finance and Admin Manager in conducting day-to-day finance operations, including implementation of EDC and USAID policies, procedures and systems;
- Supports the Finance and Admin Manager in the preparation of project monthly financial reports and tracking of spending against the approved budget;
- Manages the process of clearing bills, advance reconciliation, payments, and vouchers, including a review and certification of supporting documentation to ensure it is compliant with local tax laws, as well as USAID and EDC policies;
- Records project transactions in QuickBooks, utilizing the correct charge codes and monitoring alignment to budgeted activities;
- Prepares the bank reconciliation of each account prior to the monthly close;
- Supports the Finance and Admin Manager in preparing wire transfer requests;
- Works closely with the Finance and Admin Manager to ensure reconciliation of monthly expense reports and respond to any inquiries, as necessary;
- Assists in the preparation of monthly financial spreadsheets, cash flow forecasts in accordance with appropriate procedures;
- Provides necessary information for payroll to ensure salaries are being processed in accordance with requirements;
- Scans and files all supporting financial documentation on a monthly basis per EDC file retention policies;
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism and ethics when dealing with documentation and related information on sensitive and confidential matters, as well as with EDC colleagues;
- Conducts checks on compliance with USAID’s Anti-Terrorist Certification (“ATC”) regulations; and;
- Other duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of 4 to 5 years of directly relevant experience;
- Experience supporting large USAID or other international donor-funded projects preferred
- Proficiency working with QuickBooks accounting system required
- Proficiency in MS Excel and MS Word;
- Knowledge of Rwandan labor and tax laws;
- Detail-oriented and organized;
- Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure;
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a team in difficult work environments;
- Demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility
- Ability to work independently and effectively in groups
- Strong interpersonal & organizational skills
- Willingness to travel to provinces covered by the project
Please Note: Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Job closing date: July 17, 2023
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women are encouraged to apply.