Youth Development Team Leader - Cebu
- Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Opportunity 2.0, funded by USAID, will strengthen second-chance education programs for vulnerable out-of-school youth in the Philippines. Opportunity 2.0 will collaborate and work with national and local systems supporting youth in order to provide 180,000 youth with the skills and opportunities to improve their education, employment, and livelihood outcomes.
Achieving this vision will require a multi-faceted, systems-strengthening approach that aligns the formal education system, markets, and youth “sub-systems” at the regional levels. This will be achieved by providing experienced project personnel embedded in government departments; further aligning the input of technical assistance; and maximizing opportunities to bring together the respective stakeholders to identify and refine synergies and transition pathways for youth, particularly between Department of Education (DepEd)’s Alternative Learning System (ALS) program and the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA).
The Youth Development (YD) Team Leader – Cebu will be responsible for leading the design and implementation of project activities within the Cebu regional hub that seek to improve the enabling environment for youth development in O2 project sites. To do so, Youth Development Team Leader will work closely with and oversee the day-to-day activities of the assigned technical hub to ensure coordination, collaboration and learning across all interventions. The Cebu regional hub currently includes four (4) sites: Cebu City, Tagbilaran City, Isabela City (Basilan), and Zamboanga City. An additional project site may be added to the Cebu Hub before end of 2021.
The YD Team Leader - Cebu will be responsible for engaging with government representatives, youth organizations and youth serving organizations at the local levels. The YD Team Leader will work with relevant O2 consortium partners to implement strategies to strengthen alliances with the private sector, Higher Education Institutions, Local Government Unit, relevant government agencies and other actors to increase community support for youth development.
The YD Team Leader’s specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Lead and, provide oversight and guidance to the Youth Development Coordinators and Youth Development Officers, in their assigned regional hubs, in the development and conduct of activities such as:
o Work plans and activity reports
o Workshops and meetings design and implementation
o All other activities related to technical implementation of Opportunity 2.0 Program
• Lead technical design adjustments of technical services specific to their assigned regional hub, during on- going project implementation.
• Lead the regional Youth Development team in working closely and collaboratively with the Grants, Private Sector, Higher Education, TESD, ALS and Master Trainers teams in implementing the Opportunity 2.0 Program.
• Lead and, provide oversight and guidance in building relationship with the different regional stakeholders – youth service providers, DepEd ALS, TESDA, LGU, Youth Development Alliance, HEI and private sector partners, other on-going USAID-funded projects; other donor-funded projects, NGOs and other local institutions involved in project activities to ensure effective program implementation.
• Provide oversight and guidance to the technical staff to achieve an effective project monitoring and evaluation plan: tracking physical targets/ deliverables, ensuring quality assurance mechanisms are in place and operating effectively, ensuring clear linkages and collaboration between technical and M&E work.
• At the regional level, facilitate regular youth development staff meetings, joint planning and implementation meetings, steering committee meetings, and the like.
• Prepare regular updates for the COP, DCOP for Technical Programs, Youth Technical Director, and Senior Education Advisor on project management issues and concerns related to technical programming in their region.
• Review regional hub’s inputs for periodic progress reports and annual reports showing achievements against set targets.
• Prepare a consolidated write-up of the hub wide accomplishments and planned activities as inputs to Quarterly Progress Reports, Annual Progress Reports and Annual Implementation Plans.
• Oversee and review regional hubs’ input on the project communications plan (for instance, documentation of significant events, success stories, and other similar materials) before they are featured in USAID weekly highlights, EDC newsletter, and press releases.
• Participate in inter-agency coordination meetings, and special activities or events as appropriate.
• Participate in internal administrative and operational meetings, as required.
• Actively participate in fostering a collaborative environment between technical teams in the field and Admin, HR, and Finance departments.
• Comply with project and organizational policies on technical activities concerning security, human resources, financial and grants management, the confidentiality of information, and the like.
• Comply with EDC’s administrative and HR regulations, including policies and procedures on performance management and annual performance review.
• Perform other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
Organizational Relationships and Employment Status
• Reports to Youth Technical Director based in Pasig City, NCR
• Dotted line reporting to Cebu-based TESD Advisor
• Supervises Youth Development Coordinators based in the Cebu Hub
• Based in Cebu City with travel to all project sites
• Full time employee
Bachelor’s degree in education, project management, business administration or other related disciplines.
Skills and Experience:
• Minimum 6 years of progressively responsible and directly relevant experience required, preferably in education, project management, or other related field; advanced degree preferred.
• Extensive experience and involvement in project management and supervision of large teams located in different geographical locations.
• Experience and/or training in workforce development, private sector engagement and/or alternative learning systems.
• Outstanding leadership skills.
• Excellent analytical skills and aptitude for details.
• Capacity to work in difficult conditions and function well under pressure.
• Excellent communication and report writing skills.
• Strong interpersonal communications, negotiation, presentations skills and experience working in a multi-cultural environment.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to work on multi-tasks and to meet deadlines.
• Computer literacy, preferably including database applications and knowledge of website management.
Fluency in Filipino and English
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.