Senior Media Relations Manager
- New York, NY, USA
- Employees can work remotely
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements, and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
EDC is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
EDC’s approach to equity, diversity, and inclusion is grounded in EDC’s commitment to respect the dignity of each individual. EDC has a commitment to promoting equity and access to high quality education and health services that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. EDC expresses its commitment to increasing equity through its strategies, services and products, which contribute to building capacity and transforming lives.
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits.
The Office of Communications has an opening for a Media Relations Manager reporting to the Director of Communications.
EDC is seeking a strategic media relations lead who will craft and execute compelling, and impactful media outreach strategies for a variety of topics – with a special emphasis on cross-platform, integrated public relations. This position requires strong media relations, knowledge of economic development and humanitarian issues as well as relationships with relevant media outlets, earned media strategies, and a clear understanding of the news cycle as it relates to EDC’s work and communications priorities.
The successful individual in this role will develop relationships with internal experts to present a cohesive narrative externally. Powerful writing skills are required, as is demonstrated experience drafting media outreach plans, managing and building relationships with reporters, media analytics and an understanding of how earned media links with social media strategy and execution.
The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
- Understand and evaluate the news cycle for how it ties to EDC's work and pitching opportunities
- Work with practice/issue areas to determine priority messages, spokespeople, challenges, and opportunities
- Identify news pegs that creatively connect EDC's research and programs with relevant world events
- Develop a media strategy and work plan in coordination with the over-arching communications planning
- Collaborate with digital communications lead and program leads to develop integrated communications plans and campaigns that represent our committment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Measure success against objectives
- Continually review and re-align strategic priorities based on evolving trends and needs
- Continuously develop, maintain, and strengthen relationships with reporters, producers, bookers, and editorial decision makers at international, national and relevant regional media outlets
- Execute media plans through proactive media outreach across all platforms (broadcast, print, online, social); prior experience increasing coverage both in terms of quantity and quality
- Prepare and distribute news releases, statements, advisories, announcements, fact sheets, notes, and other printed, filmed or recorded materials to the media
- Create and nurture relationships between EDC experts and reporters/producers
- Maintain regular contact with print, broadcast, and digital media.
- Supervise media coverage of appearances by experts and EDC leadership
- Work collaboratively across national and international EDC divisions to identify and cultivate the best media friendly stories; proactively consider how messaging can be pushed to both external and internal audiences
- Familiarity with media campaign evaluation metrics
- Working knowledge of analytics tools including Cision and Meltwater and ability to run searches and reports on EDC media coverage nationally and internationally
- Manage rapid-response and crisis communications, as needed
- Craft pitches with minimal supervision
- Write draft blog posts/short articles as needed
- Draft talking points for executive leadership and staff as needed
- Leads on monthly media training and weekly opportunity-specific media prep for spokespersons and senior leaders
This position requires excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills. Specific requirements:
- 7+ years of experience working directly on media relations
- Relationships with regional, international, and national media in the U.S., including proven success as a spokesperson and pitching top tier news outlets.
- Experience working in both agency and in-house, preferred
- Experience working on equity, human rights, economic development or humanitarian issues
- High level of initiative, self-motivation, resourcefulness, and patience – ability to execute a strategic agenda
- Excellent writing skills with an ability to look past jargon and craft compelling storylines
- Knowledge of AP-style guidelines and editing experience preferred
- Powerful, logical and effective verbal communication skills that resonate with the media and internally
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability to build trust and work collaboratively with all key stakeholders, i.e. practice areas, local office key contacts, global and regional media and marketing teams
- Strong organizational skills with ability to plan, set goals, and manage multiple projects simultaneously within a fast-moving environment
- Comfort with ambiguity and willingness to embrace an iterative process
- Versatility and openness towards new ideas and change
APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER TO BE CONSIDERED. Please include top examples of recent earned media placements.