Senior Research Associate
- New York, NY, USA
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements, and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
EDC has a commitment to promoting equity and access to high quality education and health services that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. EDC expresses its commitment to increasing equity through its strategies, services and products, which contribute to building capacity and transforming lives.
EDC is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The New York office of Education Development Center, Inc. has an opening for a Senior Research Associate, reporting to the project director.
EDC’s New York Office (Center for Children and Technology) is seeking a full time researcher to support two projects that explore and support the role of literacy in children’s lives. One project investigates the learning connections between early literacy skills and computational thinking, and the other through supporting engagement with informational text in the context of public media resources. The position is ideal for an individual with both research expertise and practitioner experience, as well as an interest in exploring the role of technology and media to support learning and literacy. Experience with the following is preferred: working with children; a proficiency in Spanish; employing mixed methods or rigorous qualitative methodologies ; working with teachers and their professional development.
The Center for Children and Technology (CCT) is a research and development center within Education Development Center, Inc. and is based in New York City. Founded in 1980, CCT investigates how technology can influence and enhance teaching and learning across a wide range of educational settings. CCT conducts basic, applied, causal and formative research, working in collaboration with educational, corporate, government and research institutions. CCT also designs and develops prototype software and instructional resources that support engaged, active learning. CCT offers a dynamic and highly collaborative work environment that seeks to answer challenging and practical questions about teaching and learning, and is centered on teachers and students and the tools that can help create successful learning environments.
The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
The Senior Research Associate:
• Further augments the organization’s intellectual capital, while developing name recognition as a leader in the field
• Initiates and executes projects of moderate scope & diversity; may be responsible for particular phases of a large complex project
• Exercises leadership in qualitative &/or quantitative research methods for design and instrumentation
• Oversees data collection & validation processes, ensuring quality & reliability
• Reviews documentation
• Synthesizes concepts and recommendations
• Writes/edits plans & complex materials
• Develops high-visibility presentations
• Contributes to conferences and publications
• Identifies and pursues original bodies of work
• Investigates solutions to potential problems, which may result in products, programs, services or inventions
• Participates in proposal & funding planning
• Conceptualizes or writes major sections of proposals
• May act as Principal Investigator
· contributes to multiple aspects of design of research studies
· communicates with development partners
· reviews current literature on study design and assessment approaches and instruments
· collaborates with research partners to design and implement research studies
• May independently draft proposals or sections of proposals; coordinate proposal development
• Assists Principal Investigator with achieving key deliverables
• Performs, coordinates, and supervises fieldwork
• Provides expertise and advisement regarding literacy assessments, instructional strategies, and related content
The Senior Research Associate also:
• Expands contacts and strengthens client relations; develops business and professional relationships by communicating technical information to professional or civic communities, government agencies, “stakeholders” or institutions
• Advises, consults and collaborates with senior management and project staff on new concepts associated with expanding existing products &/or programs
• Guides feedback exchanges; provides expertise to others
• Oversees administrative and logistical coordination
• Troubleshoots complex problems and develops solutions
• Will be required to travel
• May suggest project policies & procedures to ensure quality & compliance
• May provide administrative supervision or direction to junior staff
• May advise on complex training or design projects; may design or conduct conferences or workshops
• May initiate or coordinate cross-portfolio or interdepartmental research efforts and activities
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills. Specific requirements:
• Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education & experience
• PhD or equivalent preferred
• With Master’s degree, 7–10 years related experience, including 1–3 years prior project management or program development experience, plus solid experience with computer applications (including databases), psychometric or statistical measurement techniques, and Internet research
• With PhD, 2–4 years related experience (as above)
• Demonstrable leadership skills
• Proficiency in Spanish, or another language such as Mandarin or Cantonese is desirable
To be considered, applications must include a cover letter detailing why you're well-suited to the position.