Chief of Party– Uzbekistan – Uzbekistan Youth Workforce Development and Entrepreneurship Activity
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The purpose of the Uzbekistan Youth Workforce Development and Entrepreneurship Activity (2021-2026) is to equip youth who are in grades 8-11 with the necessary skills as they prepare to enter Uzbekistan’s economy as skilled employees or entrepreneurs. The Uzbekistan Youth Workforce Development and Entrepreneurship activity will focus on achievement of the following intermediate results: i) improved quality of school-based economics and entrepreneurship programs, ii) improved quality of afterschool entrepreneurship, soft skills and work readiness programs; and iii) strengthened enabling environment to support and engage youth.
The Chief of Party (COP) will be responsible for technical leadership, administrative oversight, and overall coordination of the project. The COP will serve as the principle institutional liaison with USAID and key stakeholders. The COP will manage staff and ensure that the project meets stated goals and reporting requirements, as well as ensure the quality, timeliness, and efficiency of all products and activities generated under the activity. The COP should have demonstrated ability to work with multiple stakeholders and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines and budget.
Please Note: This position is not eligible for relocation or posting allowances and the salary will be paid in Uzbekistani Som.
The candidate for the position of Chief of Party shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in workforce development, education, and youth development or directly related field;
- At least 5 years of relevant management, supervisory, or technical experience working with programs that are of a similar scope to this activity;
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex international programs in a context similar to Uzbekistan;
- Demonstrated experience in private sector engagement;
- Experience with USAID programs and knowledge of USAID rules and regulations desired;
- Ability to conceptualize how private and public sector education, workforce skills development, job placement, and job creation interact;
- Strong leadership, administrative, management, presentation, reporting, and communication (both oral and written) skills and the ability to implement projects with diverse subject matter;
- Demonstrated experience of successful interactions, coordination and partnerships with a variety of stakeholders (host government, US and international donors, youth, private sector, etc.) desired;
- Ability to perform at a high level and apply diplomacy skills with a wide range of stakeholders (i.e., USG embassy personnel, host-country Ministry officials, local education and youth agencies and centers, private sector, donors, youth beneficiaries);
- Demonstrated ability to work in an ambiguous and rapidly evolving environment, must be comfortable with constant change of local leadership / partners, and multiple, competing priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to steer the program forward while being flexible enough to respond to emerging priorities and overcome barriers.
Preferred Technical Experience:
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in implementation of projects with a focus on youth workforce development, entrepreneurship, and soft skill development;
- Demonstrated experience in female empowerment and disability inclusion desired;
- Demonstrated experience in private sector engagement desired;
- Familiarity with entrepreneurship programming, particularly working with social entrepreneurs desired;
- Demonstrated experience in curriculum reform, teaching and learning materials development and teacher training preferred;
- Experience working on education and/or youth issues in Uzbekistan or Central Asia desired.
Fluency in English and Russian required. Fluency in Uzbek preferred.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.