Deputy Chief of Party, Technical – Bangladesh – Shobai Miley Shikhi Activity
- Dhaka, Bangladesh
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
EDC is preparing a proposal for the upcoming, five-year, $25 million, Shobai Miley Shikhi (“Everyone Reads Together”) Activity. The Activity aims to improve early grade reading outcomes in Bangla for children with disabilities in Government Primary Schools in Bangladesh. To accomplish this objective, the activity will strengthen government service delivery of disability-inclusive education and create inclusive school environments and instruction for children with disabilities to improve student learning outcomes. Through this activity, children with disabilities will gain the foundational literacy skills necessary to advance through the government school system and be more equipped to obtain better economic opportunities upon completing their education.
The Deputy Chief of Party will oversee design of the activity’s disability-inclusive education approach to ensure that instruction is responsive to the needs of children with disabilities. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic individual with demonstrated knowledge of primary education sector work, adaptive pedagogy, early grade learning approaches for reading, experience working with government specialists in the development of training modules, assessment, and supplementary materials, and will possess the ability to respectfully collaborate with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Provide overall strategic guidance and technical oversight to advance the activity’s disability-inclusive education approach in supporting Government of Bangladesh Primary Schools and nonformal systems;
- Guide technical-staff on essential components of literacy and numeracy programs, including curriculum design, lesson planning, teacher professional development, materials development and distribution, classroom-level assessment, universal design for learning, social and emotional learning to develop and integrate highly effective and accessible activities to maximize outcomes;
- Build strong collaborative relationships with the Ministry of Primary and Mass Education (MOPME), Directorate of Primary Education (DPE) and its subordinate offices at the district and upazila levels, donor, and partner organizations, and other NGOs/ODPs/CSOs to enhance quality and effectiveness of programming, plan for scalability and foster institutionalization;
- Supervise the production of activity-supported materials, trainings, teacher and classroom supervision and monitoring, and student assessments;
- Contribute to the design and implementation of the project’s learning agenda;
- Build community and host country government awareness regarding the importance of disability-inclusive education;
- Work with home office experts and local partners to ensure activity relevance and quality;
- Other duties, as assigned.
Reporting and Organizational Relationships:
The Deputy Chief of Party reports to the Chief of Party.
The candidate for the position of Deputy Chief of Party shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Master’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in education, literacy, early grade reading, or related field; a focus on diversity-inclusive education desired. Ph.D. preferred.
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible leadership experience in education, literacy, or early grade reading;
- Expertise in teacher training, universal design for learning, curriculum design, classroom assessment, inclusive education, and gender-sensitive pedagogy;
- Familiarity with common education tools and approaches to improving education outcomes, including those of USAID;
- Experience working in complex, crisis or fragile environments;
- Understanding of the education systems in Bangladesh.
Fluency in written and oral English is required. Familiarity with Bangla is highly preferred.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.