Reading Materials Development Specialist (Digital) – Zambia - USAID Let’s Read Project
- Lusaka, Zambia
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has selected EDC to implement the USAID Let’s Read Project, a 5-year, $48.9 million project in the five target provinces of Eastern, Muchinga, Southern, Northwestern and Western Zambia that works to improve reading outcomes for approximately 1.4 million children attending pre-primary (kindergarten) through to Grades 3 and provide professional development for teachers to support reading interventions in Zambian public and community schools. EDC is currently hiring for the position of Reading Materials Developer (RMD) for the USAID Let’s Read Project.
The Reading Materials Developer (RMD) works with the Senior Reading Director (SRD) and Reading Specialist (RS), Teacher Education Specialized Services (TESS), Curriculum Development Center (CDC) and Ministry of General Education (MoGE) key stakeholders to finalize initial EGR packages (print and digitized), building on existing materials, and identify gaps. A key focus will be to digitize and catalog current materials, and develop new materials into interactive media formats in support of literacy. Work with SRD, RS, PTS Manager, Provincial project staff and MoGE staff to adapt and improve materials iteratively, based on testing results. The Reading Materials Developer (Digital) reports to the Senior Reading Director.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
· Manage graphic design for digitized materials;
· Work with content creators to design digital materials for teachers and learners
· Manage video productions;
· Manage audio recordings;
· Catalog and format all media products;
· Create and maintain inventory of digital resource materials
· Manage android app media assembly
· Revise and evolve previous media products for teachers and learners as needed
· Consult and collaborate with Reading Specialists to identify appropriate software and programs to support material development.
· Responsible for meeting expectations and deliverables on time and in high quality.
· Other duties, as assigned.
Minimum Academic/Professional Requirement:
The candidate for the position shall have at a minimum, the following qualifications:
· Degree in Art and Design (digital) or any related field.
· Degree in Education or linguistics or literacy is an added advantage
Skills and Experience
· A minimum of 10 years’ experience coordinating multimedia production;
· Experience with video filming and editing;
· Experience with audio recording and editing;
· Experience with graphic design software (Photoshop preferred);
· Experience working with a team of content and implementation specialists;
· Experience fine-tuning communication messages;
· Experience in education-related multimedia work / early childhood and primary materials preferred;
· Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure;
· Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in difficult work environment; and
· Willingness to travel to provinces covered by the project.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of (and proficiency in) in one of the following languages preferred: Cinyanja, Chitonga, Silozi, Lunda, Luvale, Kikaonde, or Icibemba
Application Instructions: Job Closing Date: January 20, 2020
To apply, Applicants are encouraged to visit the Careers Page at: https://go.edc.org/LO-Zambia-LRZ Only if technical difficulties occur, applicants may send their resumes to [email protected] listing “Reading Materials Developer (RMD)” in the Subject Line.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V) and has Affirmative Action Plans for Women and Minorities and for Disabled Workers and Veterans. EDC is a smoke-free workplace.