Senior Zone Manager - Kampala- Uganda - ICYD Activity
- Kampala, Uganda
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
- Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
- Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
- Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
This Activity will address the mutually reinforcing relationship between improving learning outcomes and improving wellbeing and employ a comprehensive approach that merges PEPFAR/Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) strategy’s strengths in acute vulnerability stabilization with education’s broad protective effects.
The Senior Zone Manager will supervise zonal level staff, oversee project activities at the zone and liaise with technical and operational teams and partners to ensure activities at zonal level are delivered on time and with high quality. S/he will oversee and be responsible for the effective implementation of all technical components of the project at the zonal level including workplan activity implementation, finance, human resources and operational support. S/he will work closely with the Grants Manager at national level to ensure effective implementation of ICYD’s small grants program. S/he will be responsible for establishing and maintaining effective relationships and coordination with district-level government official and partners to the ICYD program as well as elected officials at all levels within the district. S/he will also establish and work closely with other relevant stakeholders in the district including other implementing partners, CSOs, FBOs and the private sector. The Senior Zone Manager reports to the Chief of Party. This is a full-time position based in Kampala, Uganda.
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Represent the ICYD Activity in the region, including establishing and maintaining close working relationship with relevant district government and elected counterparts and other stakeholders, convening quarterly review meetings and other activities, as needed;
- Provide overall management, support and supervision to the zonal staff team;
- Work closely with other ICYD teams in technical, administration/finance/budgeting and ME&L to ensure smooth and timely activity implementation at Zones;
- Ensure compliance, quality assurance, coordination, and integration of all ICYD interventions at the Zonal level;
- Conduct regular meetings with zonal staff;
- Assist in problem-solving/troubleshooting program delivery issues as they arise, in close coordination with staff and partners;
- Contribute to the design and/or completion of technical activities by serving as a resource person, workshop facilitator, technical writer, or lead documenter (as may be assigned);
- Provide timely inputs to periodic project reports, and outreach and communications activities, as appropriate;
- Actively participate in Collaborative, Learning and Adapting (CLA) processes in place within the project;
- Provide regular and timely updates on the status of work plan implementation, identify potential issues, and recommend relevant actions to Senior Leadership team in local head office;
- Assist the Communication Specialist in ensuring compliance to the USAID marking and branding;
- Fully comply with all EDC policies and procedures;
- Other duties, as assigned
Please Note: Priority in hiring will be given to individuals from the region as understanding of the region is important to success of the role.
The Senior Zone Manager shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Masters degree (or equivalent experience) in education, health, public policy, management, or related field. Master's degree preferred.
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 7 years’ professional experience in development projects preferably implementing health, HIV, and/or education activities;
- A minimum of 4 years’ demonstrated experience managing education and/or HIV or OVC programs is strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated experience working with government agencies, actors, and other stakeholders at the national and zonal levels;
- Knowledge of/experience with USAID-funded projects;
- Experience in financial management, including budget development and monitoring.
- Demonstrated capacity to effectively manage, supervise and monitor teams;
- Excellent people skills at all levels, ability to work well under pressure, negotiate diplomatically, and the ability to work well in a multicultural and multi-disciplinary work environment;
- Solid MS Word and MS Excel skills; and effective presentation and reporting skills;
- Ability to travel throughout the districts of the assigned zone;
- Demonstrated capacity to lead workshops, trainings, and strategic planning sessions.
Fluency in English is required.
Job closing date: January 8, 2021
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.
Note: EDC doesn’t solicit for money from applicants at any level of the recruitment & selection process.