Logistics Assistant - Kampala- Uganda - ICYD Activity
- Kampala, Uganda
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
- Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
- Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
- Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
This Activity will address the mutually reinforcing relationship between improving learning outcomes and improving wellbeing and employ a comprehensive approach that merges PEPFAR/Orphans and Vulnerable Children strategy’s strengths in acute vulnerability stabilization with education’s broad protective effects.
The Logistics Assistant at the Zonal Office will be responsible for full logistical support for his or her zonal office. S/he will support activities related to provision and distribution of Teaching and Learning Materials (TLMs), the effective and efficient management of trainings and workshops and will be the focal person for the management of assets, vehicle fleet, consumable supplies, and zonal office infrastructure maintenance and repair. The Logistics Assistant will report to the Senior Zone Manager. This is a full-time position based in Kmapala, Uganda.
Essential functions include (but are not limited to):
I. Direct program support
- Coordinates with the headquarters and zonal office team in the efficient distribution and delivery of Teaching and Learning Materials (TLMs) and other inputs to schools and communities and other system recipients;
- Provides logistics for training, including large scale training and workshops;
- Manages logistics arrangements for high level and routine project activities, including transport, hotel bookings, conference and workshop facilities.
II. Infrastructure Management
- Assures maintenance and repair of all zonal office infrastructure including the following:
- Electrical installations including office and expatriate staff generators;
- Plumbing and water installations including water reservoirs and water pump;
- Exterior compound; and building walls, floors, ceilings, roof, windows.
- Establishes and updates list of preferred vendors: electricians, plumbers, carpenters, masons, mechanics, groundskeepers and other craftspeople;
- Supported by the Senior Zone Manager, supervises security guards, cleaners and any other personnel involved in the upkeep and security of zonal office infrastructure and assets;
- Ensures that the zonal office is organized so as to increase efficiency, give the best appearance and to enhance the working environment of staff.
III. Driver and vehicle management
Supported by the Senior Zone Manager, establishes and implements systems and procedures for the management of:
- Driver and vehicle schedules;
- Vehicle rental;
- Vehicle logbooks;
- Maintenance and repairs of vehicles;
- Vehicle inspections;
- Monthly vehicle usage reports;
- Up to date vehicle registration and insurance;
- Complete and up to date vehicle files at all times;
- Security and safety of vehicles and passengers.
IV. Fixed assets management
- Assures maintenance and repair of all fixed assets;
- Ensures system is in place for tracking all fixed assets;
- Organizes and oversees at least annual physical inventory of all fixed assets;
- Updates fixed assets database as and when changes take place;
- Issues fixed assets reports on at least semi-annual basis or upon request;
- Issues fixed assets to custodians;
- Maintains disposition and damaged inventory list;
- Arranges for disposal of assets when necessary following USAID regulations.
V. Liaise with and support Kampala headquarters Logistics Manager as necessary for all the above functions
VI. Contribute to the design and implementation of the project’s learning agenda and actively participate in Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) processes in place within the project;
VII. Undertake other associated tasks and duties as assigned by the supervisor.
The candidate for the position of Logistics Assistant shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Secondary education and 2 to 3 years of experience in Logistics required. A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in a relevant field preferred.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 2 years’ successful experience in a similar position;
- Excellent skills in MS Word and Excel;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with staff at all levels in the organization
- Experience working with USAID and PEPFAR funded projects will be an advantage;
- Must be proactive, able to work independently and meet tight deadlines;
- Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure.
Job closing date: January 8, 2021
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.
Note: EDC doesn’t solicit for money from applicants at any level of the recruitment & selection process.