Senior Business Development Advisor - USA - IDD
- Washington, DC, USA
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The Business Development Senior Advisor will be a member of the Business Development Department supporting the business development efforts of the International Development Division at EDC and reports to the Business Development Director. S/He helps to take an opportunity through the pipeline from identification to submission. S/He will manage specific proposal efforts from inception through to submission as assigned by the Director. S/He focuses on overall planning, writing select proposal/pre-proposal pieces, and managing the internal team and partner inputs for bid efforts, and also assists in broader bid preparation and production aspects.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS - The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies and procedures.
- Key Responsibilities
Management and Leadership
- Works closely with proposal team to successfully coordinate and manage proposal efforts, including identification of needed proposal team members, timeline and action planning, and management of proposal components
- Oversees and ensures all elements of a successful proposal bid:
- Manages proposal development efforts of significant complexity, diversity, strategic impact, or scope
- Manages proposal development teams in planning for proposal submissions, and adherence to schedules, resource requirements, and quality standards
- Performs analysis of RFP/A/NOFO or other type of solicitation requirements and has lead or supportive responsibility for coordinating select proposals (including preparation of outlines, tailored checklists, instructions, and templates)
- Determines resource needs; arranges appropriate internal or subcontracted services
- Facilitates evolution of proposal strategy, such as competitive analysis, developing win themes and technical approach, identifying needed personnel, and selecting teaming partners
- Negotiates with sub-recipients (international and/or local)
- Manages proposal team through internal review processes, and bid decisions
- Ensures vital flow of communication and task management within proposal team
- Oversees or supports final technical proposal production
- Ensures key and other staff identification and selection
- Supports and engages in recruitment as necessary, including identifying key staff through networks and searches
- As necessary, helps support cost/business proposal development as appropriate
- Reviews lessons learned and incorporates best practices
Writing / Editing
- Writes expressions of interest, corporate capability statements, personnel and management sections, past performance references, biographical sketches and other proposal components; strategically enhances/positions resume content
- Edits and coordinates technical proposal sections as they develop (including managing file traffic/turnaround time, and close liaison with technical staff)
- Reviews and edits submissions from partners, ensuring their inputs meet specified requirements and expected level of quality
Other Key Job Aspects
- Carries out business intelligence research to help position company; Researches and analyzes funding trends among key donors/clients
- Works closely with Technical Team Leads and BD Director to maintain timely data on upcoming solicitations
- Liaises with other international development organizations and international donors to build positive relationships
- Develops depth of understanding of IDD staff and projects, and helps facilitate proactive and responsive business development department support
- Represents the organization in various public venues (i.e. conferences, workshops) as appropriate and as called upon
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Specific requirements:
Education: Master’s degree required
Skills and Experience:
- 7–10 years related experience, including budget responsibility and staff supervision, preferably in international business development or program development or proposal development.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills and aptitude for details
- Excellent writing, editing and formatting skills.
- Proven ability to successfully manage the full proposal development process.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and delegate and work well in a team environment with program and technical staff, as well as with outside collaborators.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving and communication skills including good public speaking and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proposal rules, regulations and processes.
- Ability to maintaining proposal quality and ensure total proposal compliance with RFA/RFP/RFTOP.
- Demonstrated knowledge of donor budget process.
- Demonstrated skill in managing communications with partners and donors.
- Ability to maintain schedule.
- Must be able to work under tight deadlines and with multiple/simultaneous bid efforts.
- Background in education, youth or related field preferred.
- Advanced computer skills required including Microsoft Office.
Language: Advanced professional fluency in English is required. Proficiency in Spanish, French, Arabic or another langiage is desired.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only candidates selected for interviews will be notified.
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.