Senior Finance Officer-Zonal Main Office Operations– ICYD Activity
- Kampala, Uganda
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
- Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
- Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
- Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
This Activity will address the mutually reinforcing relationship between improving learning outcomes and improving wellbeing and employ a comprehensive approach that merges PEPFAR/Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) strategy’s strengths in acute vulnerability stabilization with education’s broad protective effects.
The Senior Finance Officer– Zonal and Main Office Operations will provide financial management support to 5 ICYD Zonal Offices and head Kampala Head Office and ensure that the day-to-day finance operations are in total compliance with EDC, PEPFAR and USAID policies, procedures and systems. This is a full-time position reporting to the Finance Director and is based in Kampala, Uganda.
- The Senior Finance Officer - Zonal Operations will work closely with Zonal Finance Staff:
- Travel to zonal offices to review financial arrangements and systems and make appropriate recommendations as required;
- Work with and train zonal staff to establish district budgets, budget, cash requests, bank reconciliations, cash book (bank register), cash expense register;
- Assist with financial management including payment to vendors, travel reimbursement for office staff, preparation of monthly salary disbursement, and request for funds transfer from Kampala Office, prepare bank reconciliation reports;
- Review all activity budgets and expense reports from the zonal office and ensure for completeness, compliance, reasonableness and timeliness before payment is made;
- Train and build capacity of zonal staff to enable them to prepare complete, accurate and timely monthly budget reports, bank reconciliations, cash books, expense registers, cash requests, inventory registers and other reports as necessary;
- Review all reports coming out of the Zonal offices for completeness, compliance and correctness.
- Prepare and submit project monthly and ad hoc financial reports; and track expenditure against approved budget in line with EDC and USAID finance and operations guidelines and policy;
- Take over the duties or assist in carrying out the duties of any finance team member in the Kampala Head Office or in the Zonal Office if the volume or complexity of the work warrants such assistance as directed by the Finance Director;
- Take over the roles and responsibilities of the Finance Director in his absence.
The candidate for the position of Senior Finance Officer -Zonal Operation shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or any other related field.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive, responsible positions in a large-scale, international nonprofit environment with increasing responsibility in accounting and/or financial management;
- Membership in a reputable Professional Accountancy body, ACCA, CIMA or CPA would be an advantage.
- Extensive knowledge of and financial management experience with USAID funded programs;
- Team building and capacity building skills;
- Team supervision and management;
- Excellent skills in Excel and Word;
- In-depth skills and knowledge of accounting software, especially QuickBooks;
- Expense tracking and reporting;
- Budget variance tracking and reporting;
- Experience with online banking and mobile money management;
- Experience with USAID VAT reporting;
- Willingness to travel in all program areas, as necessary;
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English;
- Team player;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Fluency in English is required.
Job closing date: December 11, 2020
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.
Note: EDC doesn’t solicit for money from applicants at any level of the recruitment & selection process.