Director of Educational Research and Evaluation
- Waltham, MA, USA
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements, and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
EDC is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
EDC’s approach to equity, diversity, and inclusion is grounded in EDC’s commitment to respect the dignity of each individual. EDC has a commitment to promoting equity and access to high quality education and health services that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. EDC expresses its commitment to increasing equity through its strategies, services and products, which contribute to building capacity and transforming lives.
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits.
EDC has an exciting opportunity for a Director of Educational Research and Evaluation reporting to the Senior Vice President of the U.S. Division. The Director will oversee a portfolio of $10M in annual revenue and close to 50 staff and will be a member of the US Division Leadership team. In collaboration with senior leaders, the Director will:
- Leverage the deep expertise of portfolio staff, increase external visibility, and diversify funding sources to build a robust funding pipeline
- Build on and expand EDC’s work in improving schools and educational systems
- Expand and strengthen external relationships to foster future collaborations, including new business opportunities
- Ensure high quality execution of projects and deliverables
We are seeking an experienced leader who can bring an innovative approach to established business development and management practices. The Director will be responsible for the programmatic, financial, and administrative success of a team that specializes in research, evaluation, and technical assistance. Although the team’s primary focus is K–12 education, there is significant work in out-of-school, early childhood, and secondary education settings. The portfolio of projects includes federally-funded Regional Educational Laboratories that support state and district leaders as well as foundation, federal and state grants and contracts to conduct research and evaluation studies across a diverse range of formal and informal education topics.
- Work with staff across the organization to refine and implement a strategic approach to EDC’s next generation of education research and evaluation initiatives
- Analyze business development prospects for risk, scalability, and cross-functional utility
- Work closely with colleagues across the U.S. Division and with EDC’s International Development Division to identify opportunities for collaboration
- Provide programmatic, financial, and administrative management of the portfolio, including direct supervision of senior staff
- Participate in strategic planning and creative problem solving to ensure the success of the portfolio, the division, and EDC
- Provide strategic insights and recommendations to EDC Leadership and the Board of Directors on opportunities and challenges
Work location: Flexible
- Proven track record in strong leadership, business development, and effective management, including contract management
- Understanding of the research, evaluation, and technical assistance landscape of federal and state education as well as collaborations led by philanthropic and private sectors
- Able to identify trends, opportunities, and connections in K–12 education that can inform and enhance strategic initiatives
- Proven experience managing and developing a large team dispersed across multiple offices and locations
- Skilled at promoting and leveraging business, client, and funder relationships
- Motivated to take on challenges
- High level of initiative, creativity, and flexibility
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Commitment to equity and diversity, promoting strong ethics, and ensuring fair and equitable treatment of staff and partners
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Established and extensive network of evaluators, researchers, and educators
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.