Human Resources Manger – Uganda – ICYD Activity
- Kampala, Uganda
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
- Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
- Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
- Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
This Activity will address the mutually reinforcing relationship between improving learning outcomes and improving wellbeing and employ a comprehensive approach that merges PEPFAR/OVC’s strengths in acute vulnerability stabilization with education’s broad protective effects.
The Human Resources Manager will lead all aspects of the Human Resources (HR) function, which will include recruitment, onboarding, performance management, training, administering pay, benefits and leave, and enforcing EDC policies and practices. The successful candidate will be conceptual thinker with outstanding relationship building, cross-functional communication, and conflict management skills.
The incumbent must exhibit strong decision-making skills and have experience with Ugandan local labor laws, employee relations, talent acquisition, onboarding, offboarding, training, and overall personnel management. The HR Manager is expected to be comfortable managing grey areas and introducing processes and technology solutions in order to streamline and strengthen HR’s ability to be an agile partner to the organization. The HR Manager will handle sensitive and confidential documents and information and dealings with co-workers and EDC partners with the highest level of professionalism. The HR Manager will report to the Deputy Chief of Party, Administration, Finance, and Operations. This is a full-time position based in Kampala, Uganda.
The HR Manager’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Under the oversight of the DCOP, Administration, Finance, and Operations and working closely with EDC’s Home Office (HO) Human Resources team, ensure that all employee relations procedures including disciplinary actions, employee counseling, dispute resolution, and separation procedures are handled promptly, professionally, and in compliance with EDC policies and Ugandan labor law;
- Serve as the main liaison with EDC Home Office Human Resources team;
- Manage all employment actions including recruitment, hiring, new employee orientation, performance management, capacity building activities, employment agreement drafting and renewals, disciplinary process, and separations;
- Work with local and Home Office leadership to set local recruitment, onboarding, and training initiatives to maximize staff productivity;
- Act as a trusted and strategic advisor to leadership in all matters related to Human Resources management;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff members at all levels;
- Monitor employee relations practices and proactively coach managers and staff to ensure a productive work environment;
- Encourage problem-solving and direct communication among employees and supervisors;
- Ensure HR record keeping is accurate and up to date as per EDC guidelines; conduct frequent HR record audits with assistance from Home Office team members when needed;
- Manage staff benefits procurement (in conjunction with procurement team), renewals and, reconciliations;
- Administer all staff benefits programs, enrollments, changes, removals; and maintain appropriate documentation;
- Support monthly payroll as appropriate, including management of leave requests, timesheet reconciliations and all payroll records;
- Conduct onboarding and off-boarding meetings; orientations and exit meetings, assigning and collecting project equipment, keys, phones, and other materials as appropriate;
- Track all performance evaluations to ensure timely completion, accuracy, and fairness in accordance with EDC policies and procedures;
- Keep up to date with local labor laws and support revision of employment documents and manuals to ensure EDC’s compliance with local laws and regulations.
- Participate in senior management meetings and decision-making processes, as appropriate;
- Proactively assess and address potential or existing risks or problems and work with project management and leadership to minimize or eliminate them;
- Assist with periodic reporting as appropriate and when necessary submit inputs to periodic reports in a timely manner;
- Comply with project and EDC policies concerning security, HR, data privacy, and confidentiality;
- Actively participate in Collaborative, Learning and Adapting (CLA) processes in place within the project;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field.
Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 7 years of progressive experience in Human Resources and Operations Management;
- Management experience preferred;
- Strong knowledge of Uganda labor regulations;
- Solid experience with the entire employee life cycle (hire, onboard, train, performance management, employee relations, and separations);
- Demonstrated leadership skills as it relates to HR initiatives;
- Experience leading the entire recruitment cycle, conducting market scans and managing external talent acquisition resources, such as contractors;
- Understanding of nonprofit management and governance preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, and handle highly confidential information appropriately;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure;
- Supervision experience required;
- Excellent verbal and written writing skills;
- Flexible approach to problem-solving;
- Strong interpersonal & organizational skills;
- Excellent analytical skills and aptitude for details;
- Willingness to travel to Zones covered by the project;
- Proficiency with MS Word and MS Excel required;
- Knowledge of USAID regulations preferred.
Fluency in English is required.
Job closing date: September 24, 2020
Only if technical difficulties occur, applicants may send their resumes to: [email protected], listing “HRM-Uganda” in the Subject Line.
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.