- Ontario 560, Gogama, ONT, Canada
At EACOM, we transform more than wood. Our talented team of 1,100+ employees is committed to working, building, and growing together. Embedded in northern Ontario and Quebec communities, our mills have a long, rich history. We responsibly manage and transform forest resources into high-quality wood products. From the Canadian woodlands to the North American home building market, we strive for sustainability, collaboration, safety, and continuous improvement.
We’re looking for a Silviculture Supervisor based on our Gogama sawmill, in Ontario.
Reporting to the Silviculture Manager this position will support, plan, coordinate, supervise, monitor and document all silvicultural activities administered by EACOM’s Silviculture Group. The incumbent will also be responsible to oversee the maintenance of cost control activities as they relate to the implementation of silvicultural activities. You may also be required to assist in the development of forest management plans, annual work schedules and annual reports.
- Assist in the planning, supervision and monitoring of field operations for all silvicultural activities on both the Pineland and Spanish Forests, consistent with approved Forest Management Plan(s), Annual Work Schedules, Forest Certification and Environmental Management System Requirements, Corporate Budgets, Policies and Legal obligations.
- Assist in the planning, supervision, implementation and monitoring of all annual field surveys required to support silvicultural effectiveness monitoring and prescription development.
- Collect accurate field data upon which to make detailed site-specific future silvicultural treatments and make inferences about the success/failure of previous treatments.
- Document the results of all annual silvicultural treatments and field surveys in corporate GIS databases/layers.
- Compile field survey results for each silvicultural treatment to ensure production of Annual Reports.
- Monitor contractor performance against contract specifications, approved Forest Management Plans, Annual Work Schedules, Forest Certification and Environmental Management System Requirements, Corporate Budgets, Policies and Legal obligations and implement corrective action when necessary.
- Coordinate and supervise the daily/weekly work for temporary seasonal forestry staff, in compliance with Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Assist the Timmins Woodlands Operations Group with the implementation, and/or monitoring of forest management activities (i.e. wood quality audits, water crossing, bridge, and gravel pit inspections, etc).
- All other duties as assigned to support the implementation of forest management activities for the Timmins Woodlands.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills.
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn and rigour in the delivery of his assignments.
- Adaptable and able to work independently with minimal supervision and in a team environment.
- Strong work ethic, good judgment, decision-making skills and results oriented.
- Have a recognized University Degree or College Diploma in forestry, forest engineering, or forest technician or equivalent.
- Preference will be given to candidates with 3 to 5 years silvicultural field and supervisory experience.
- Be experienced in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, ArcGIS, GPS technology.
- Valid Ontario “G” Class Drivers License, or equivalent.
- Must be able to work for extended periods of time outdoors, in a forested environment, in various weather and field conditions.
- Be willing to re-locate, live and work in a small community.
If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us of any particular adaptive measures you might require. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
EACOM is an employer that respects equal opportunities in employment.
The masculine gender is only for abbreviation.