State Director-- Disabilities
- Raleigh, NC, USA
A LITTLE ABOUT US:
Dungarvin is a national organization of privately owned companies that provide high quality, community-based supports to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, people who are faced with mental health, behavioral or significant medical challenges, and to children and their families. Because each individual we support is unique, we strive to provide services that are tailored to each person's own hopes, dreams, goals and needs. Under the support of Medicaid and Community Support Waivers Dungarvin is proud to create custom solutions to each person served.
In March 1976 our founders Tim and Diane Madden decided to start a business that would provide community housing for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Through diligent research and planning Tim and Diane officially opened their first 15-person residential program in St. Paul, Minnesota, a mere 4 months later. For the next 3 years Tim and Diane lived as "houseparents" on the ground level of that home; on a mattress on the floor! Through the success of that program Dungarvin has grown to employ approximately 4,000 people who currently provide supports to over 4,712 individuals across 14 states with their continues leadership.
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
This position is responsible for overall administration and growth of services- setting strategic operations, marketing and fiscal direction, expansion of existing services and development of new lines of business, evaluation of programs and services to assure high quality services to meet the needs of our stakeholders, and assures compliance with all applicable rules, standards and laws. The state director serves as the primary representative of Dungarvin and liaison between senior administrative staff and funding and oversight authorities and is responsible to nurture and develop relationships with potential and existing business partners including local, state, and Federal legislative and department representatives, advocacy groups, trade associations, and other stakeholders as warranted.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Oversees the operations of the North Carolina Market and manage combined revenues of $14 million or more.
- Responsible for financial performance of the North Carolina Market; work in conjunction with the Regional Director to implement strategies to maximize revenue, attain operational efficiency and drive profitability
- Provides leadership and develops strategy for maximizing growth within market; implement business plans and marketing goals to grow census, improve occupancy and utilization in core services. Continually assess the different revenue streams/programming and service offerings in your market to determine and cultivate new business opportunities both in current and potential business segments. Respond to proposal (RFP) requests in a timely fashion; that align with The Dungarvin mission.
- Work with Senior Leadership, NCO and your Regional Director to develops and implement public strategy plans for market, and enhance state and federal level relations. While maintaining and foster relations with consumers, families, and guardians; to maintain reputation. Oversee implementation of consumer satisfaction surveys; and develops enhancement plans.
- Oversees development and implements state quality enhancement strategy and drives quality initiatives, coordinating Dungarvin standards and licensing requirements, and consideration for individual consumer’s needs.
- Implements public strategy plan for state or assigned business units; maintains and enhances state level relations with legislative and administrative officials, advocates, and trade associations; joins and takes a leadership role with state trade associations; and assists lobbyists or outside contractors.
- Oversees state strategy and implementation of health and safety programs including consumer and employee protection, and directs medical and nursing services and supports.
- Implements state strategy to maintain compliance with Dungarvin and regulatory standards for clean, neat, safe living and working environments; and assures pleasant, age-appropriate, well-decorated home-like residential living environments.
- Provides leadership to state support teams; develops strategy for implementation of best employee practices; oversees safety strategy; recruits and retains top talent; develops state and regional leadership teams; establishes employee orientation and training programs; and work with HR teams to implement employment practices including hiring, termination and discipline.
- Develops strategy to maintain compliance with national and state regulatory standards for clean, neat and safe environments. Provides direction for timely and accurate documentation; oversees implementation of Dungarvin compliance plan; reviews licensing orders; and implements proactive strategies to meet or exceed compliance.
- Provides coaching and leadership, to all levels of staff to ensure that the spirit of the Dungarvins mission is understood and taught to all levels of staff of the company. Insure the mission is known, understood and implemented at all levels; including through directives, policies and other communications both informal and formal.
- Bachelor's degree in human services field (Psychology, Counseling, Allied Health, Educational Psychology, Sociology, Human Services, etc.)
- Minimum of 7-8 years human services industry experience, specific to Developmentally Disabled populations.
- Experience managing the following settings: Family and Therapeutic Foster care for children, Host homes services, Respite, and Adult Residential Facilities. Prefer candidate with experience in both licensed and non-licensed facilities.
- 5 years of progressive senior level management experience, preferably in a human services or health organization.
- Must have financial management skills and budget experience in excess of 10 Million dollars as well as be personally accountable for the P&L.
- Knowledgeable and adaptable to new software technologies; as well being intermediate level user on basic software’s like: Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
NICE TO HAVE:
- Master’s Degree.
- Prior experience and knowledge working with Medicaid waiver, DD waiver, IDD waiver, North Carolina Innovations Waiver and Community Alternatives Programs waivers.
- Prefer candidate with North Carolina experience specifically working with DDS, DDD and DHS.
SKILLS CRUCIAL TO SUCCESS IN THIS ROLE:
- It is crucial to have substantial working knowledge of Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities, Acute Behavioral Challenges, Significant Medical Challenges, Traumatic/Acquired Brain Injuries and Neurocognitive disorders.
- You need to have the ability to connect and build a rapport with a magnitude of personalities, work styles, diverse background both internally and externally while being relate-able and exhibiting excellent communication and professionalism.
- You should have excellent organization and project management skills as well as have a high degree of attention to detail and accuracy as you will be juggling multiple priorities while focusing on staff, service and program quality.
- You need to think critically and make sound judgments- recognize connections, translates goals into action, uses strong judgment to make choices in alignment with strategy and company culture/values.
- You must be a problem solver, strive to deliver great results with continuous improvement; and be comfortable with bringing new ideas and concepts to the table. While showcasing flexibility and adaptability; in an ever changing or fast paced environment.
- Strong knowledge of the State and federal laws and regulations; is pertinent to the success of the market as well as the State Director.
- 40 hours per week.
- Monday- Friday 8:30AM- 5:00PM (FLEX) however should anticipate evening, weekend hours and overnight stays; to meet the needs of subordinates, customers, and external entities, and to achieve organizational outcomes.
- Candidate should anticipate extensive travel in-between Raleigh, Wilmington, Winston-Salem, Wallace, Jacksonville, Henderson, Garner, Elizabeth city and Fayetteville.