Civic Space Programme Officer
- Argwings Kodhek Rd, Nairobi, Kenya
Our client works to protect and defend freedom of expression and information. Our client’s goal is that that those at the front line of defending freedom of expression and information are supported by effective networks of institutions and activists at the local, regional and global levels, and by strong legal frameworks and mechanisms, thus ensuring that violations are known, perpetrators held accountable, and effective relief or redress is secured.
Are you a professional seasoned Civic Space programme officer? Are you interested in being part of a team focused in the fields of freedom of expression and information and the impact on media and human rights defenders? If so, then we are looking for you.
Our client would like to fill the position of Civic Space Programme Officer - Kenya who will be reporting to the Senior Programme Officer- Civic Space.
Purpose Statement of the Position
The jobholder will be responsible for ensuring that the organization plays a crucial role in promoting an enabling legal, policy and actual environment for people’s participation in shaping their societies in the Eastern African Region.
He/she will be responsible for the development of policy documents on freedom of expression and freedom of information related issues, the analysis of laws related to freedom of expression, and freedom of information, freedom of assembly, freedom of association, right to privacy, public participation and laws regulating and affecting civil society engagement vis a vis their conformity with the international and regional standards.
He/she will oversee research and monitoring of new developments and trends relevant to the above rights; lead national, regional and international advocacy; support national, regional and international litigation on these issues, represent the organization at conferences and meetings; and oversee the development and delivery of trainings on freedom of expression and freedom of information and other incidental rights standards to local and regional stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
i. Developing and implementing all the projects within the civic space thematic area including but not limited to minority rights, peaceful protests and assembly. Preparation of the annual work plans and coordinating the same with the program officers and assistants working under civic space, including effective project planning, budget management and narrative and financial reporting and evaluation;
ii. Overseeing and ensuring monitoring and research of legal and policy developments related to freedom of expression and freedom of information and civic space in the Eastern African region including the development of a library of regional laws and policies on freedom of expression and other relevant materials;
iii. Overseeing analysis and critique of laws and legislative proposals in the Eastern Africa region from the perspective of international standards, supporting litigation, legal advice and support related and incidental to civic space
iv. Undertaking and ensuring national, regional and international advocacy on laws and policies affecting and incidental to civic space to the countries within the region;
v. Overseeing the development and delivery of trainings for lawyers, media workers, civil society activists, human rights defenders, minority groups and other stakeholders in the region and enhancing their capacity to apply international standards in their work;
vi. Take the lead in fundraising for the civic space activities in conjunction with the Fundraising and Compliance Officer
vii. Building working constituencies, regional networks and communities of practice related to Article 19s mandate
viii. Contributing to the organization’s publications and web resources – both in Eastern Africa region and in general;
ix. Working closely with other team members to develop as appropriate, projects that advance the goals and objectives of the organisation including providing input to budgets and reporting back to donors;
x. Undertake other duties commensurate with the role as may reasonably be assigned by the Regional Director
- At least 5 years’ experience in policy work, monitoring, advocacy and/or campaigning work in the human rights sector;
- At least 3-year experience of managing budgets and projects;
- Experience of working with partner organisations;
- Experience of working in a cross-cultural environment.
- Master’s Degree level or equivalent with post-graduate qualification in human rights, law, African studies, international relations, political science, media, communication, or other relevant field being an added advantage.
- Familiarity with human rights, freedom of expression and/or democratization issues in Eastern Africa
- Familiarity with international and regional mechanisms for promoting and protecting human rights.
- Knowledge of politics and societies in Eastern Africa
- Able to operate on own initiative with demonstrable time-management skills;
- Excellent written and spoken English and Kiswahili;
- Analytical and strategic planning skills;
- Excellent project management and administration skills (including financial management and reporting);
- Excellent research and report writing skills
- Excellent writing and presentation and advocacy skills;
- Excellent communication skills and sensitivity in working with people from various cultural and social backgrounds;
- Excellent organisational and logistical skills;
- Familiarity with the use of e-mail and the internet;
- Ability to work under pressure, with little administrative support and to meet strict deadlines.
- Experience of working in an NGO environment;
- Experience with civil society capacity-building, including training;
- Experience in the human rights advocacy field;
- Research experience; and
- Experience of writing/editing publications
Skills and Competence
- Sound expertise in Procurement management
- Strong planning, organization and administrative skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Well developed follow through ability
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
How to apply: If you are interested in the position and have the skills and talents our client is looking for, we would like to hear from you.
Please make your application through
before close of business 8th November 2021. Only successful candidates will be contacted.