Multi Media Reporter
- Alma, MI 48801, USA
Digital First Media is the parent company for the Morning Sun and delivers exclusive local news and attracts local audiences throughout the state of Michigan.
Our newspaper brands have served their respective communities for more than 100 years. They deliver more than 1.26 million print and 12 million digital impressions every month and proven results for advertisers large and small. We can extend your reach near and far with our sizable network of websites and partnerships with national powerhouses Digital First Media and Adtaxi. Our full range of digital advertising solutions also includes social, e-mail, search engine marketing and search engine optimization along with geo and behavioral targeting and retargeting platforms.
Our award-winning coverage and numerous content delivery options endear us to an ever-growing number of readers. Our in-demand multimedia products and personalized marketing services form a powerful communications tool for our clients.
Multimedia Reporters are responsible for the speed, accuracy and quality of local information gathered and reported from their beats and disseminated across all Michigan Cluster media platforms. These journalists are responsible for creating content, whether it is covering breaking news or creating longer‑term enterprise news and feature content.
- Gathers information and writes journalistically sound news elements for use in all media platforms, existing and future.
- Learns and employs all techniques for effective storytelling and beat development across all platforms.
- Posts frequent and incremental posts throughout the day on various platforms.
- Understands and engages in story aggregation and posting of links.
- Treats the audience as partners and engages them in developing content.
- Monitors audience and community feedback, and constructively interacts in traditional ways and on existing and emerging digital platforms.
- Employs various means for monitoring audience interest and competitors’ posting on your community or topic, including setting up Google alerts, Twitter and RSS feeds.
- Maintains communication with supervising editor and the production hub, when necessary, and uses Google content budget documents to keep everyone informed about plans and progress.
- Understands and uses hardware, software and cloud‑based equipment and systems for direct‑to‑web production and engagement, including posting photographs, stories, databases and short videos.
- Works remotely using laptops and smart phones to create content and develop sources.
- Uses audience metrics to shape content and coverage efforts.
- Beats production deadlines.
- Has experience and comfort with significant institutional and cultural change.
- Contributes to a positive culture of teamwork and collaboration.
- Experiments with new digital tools and platforms.
- Degree in journalism, communications or equivalent experience.
- Relevant experience news reporting and writing, shooting video, using social media, creating enterprising content.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem‑solving skills.
- Strong reporting, writing, organizational and story structure skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast‑paced environment and manage multiple tasks at once.
- Experience using social media platforms personally and professionally.
- Experience creating videos and photo galleries for digital and print publications.
- Ability to tell stories and engage audiences using existing and emerging tools and formats.
- Experience building, maintaining and engaging audiences and communities.
- Ability to work independently and remotely under deadline pressure and to prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Understands imperatives of emerging and existing platforms, including web, mobile and print.
- Has a vehicle, a valid driver’s license and the proper insurance coverage, and is capable of driving to assignments as part of work duties.
Schedule is Monday through Friday, with some weekends as assigned; hours will vary with publication/group needs.
MVR, Background check and drug test will be performed.
Local candidates only.
We are an equal opportunity employer.