Assistant Editor - Hispanic Publications
- Riverside, CA, USA
Excelsior is the Spanish language publication of Southern California News Group (SCNG).
SCNG is owned by Digital First Media (DFM), a leader in local, multi-platform news and information, distinguished by its award-winning, original content and high quality, diversified portfolio of local media assets. DFM offers local news and information websites and mobile apps offering rich multimedia experiences across the nation. In Southern California, DFM owns eleven daily newspapers, associated websites, social media channels, multiple weekly newspapers, and magazines.
Excelsior is looking for an Assistant Editor who is responsible for generating daily news packages for publication in ExcelsiorCalifornia.com and preparing news packages from wires and original content for Excelsior print editions. Responsibilities include:
- Research, edit and produce visually-driven news packages for ExcelsiorCalifornia.com. These packages might include videos, use of graphics and charts and include S.E.O., digital-oriented headlines, and appropriate tagging to create content with greater chances of becoming viral and with higher engagement
- Edit and prepare news packages ready for pagination for the print editions of Excelsior during production days (Tuesday and Wednesday)
- Coordinate with News Editors to produce pages and sections like Sports and Entertainment
- Edit Spanish translations of SCNG publications into neutral Spanish, ensuring the spirit and intent of the original English concepts are conveyed precisely with a natural flow
- Make certain content is grammatically accurate, free from spelling error, and contains correct terminologies on a consistent basis
- Coordinate with freelance Spanish language collaborators on an as-needed basis. This includes assigning work, keeping track of their workflow, and providing directions & answers to their questions
- Assist with copy editing and proofing tasks on production days
- Provide coverage when other editors are away from the office
Ideal candidates will have:
- B.A. in Journalism or related field
- 3-5 years related work experience may be considered in lieu of education
- Minimum of two years of experience reporting, writing and preparing news stories for print and digital publications
- Experience publishing on digital platforms and executing social media news strategies
- Bilingual - Spanish native and English proficient
Southern California News Group is an equal opportunity employer who supports a diverse workforce. We offer competitive wages and benefit packages that include medical, dental, vision, 401(K) plan and more. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Learn more about us by visiting us at www.socalnewsgroup.com