- Monrovia, CA
With a full suite of multi-platform editorial and advertising products, Southern California News Group (SCNG) is one of the most powerful and influential media companies in Southern California. Our family of eleven (11) daily newspapers, associated websites, social media channels, multiple weekly newspapers and magazines and creative marketing services form a powerful communications tool that can drive your company’s message home in America’s 2nd largest market. We are an extensive, integrated network of local brands that attract local audiences in markets that matter.
Adtaxi is the online division of our organization; a client-centric digital organization that brings scale, precision, and sophistication to digital marketing. By leveraging the belief that people matter as much as technology, Adtaxi helps advertisers solve complex marketing challenges with custom, performance-driven solutions.
SCNG and Adtaxi are owned by Digital First Media (DFM), headquartered in Denver, CO. DFM reaches 60 million Americans each month through more than 800 multi-platform products across the nation.
We are looking for an experienced Database Manager to oversee the development and use of our data systems. This position will be responsible for gathering, controlling, disseminating, deploying and measuring all consumer data used for content and marketing purposes. You will:
- Oversee the inflow of email addresses and other points of data from all consumer/reader contacts
- Collect, contain and sanitize the data in a stored database site from a wide variety of sources and select modeling features from the data sets
- Transform and convert unstructured data sets into structured data products
- Build advanced data models and make them consumable by existing products
Develop and modify business rules for the dissemination and deployment of the data
- Create measurements to track success of each deployment
- Design and implement statistical tools for developing and validating new models
- Validate models for roll-out and analyze the performance of existing models
- Assess the usefulness of new data sources, transformations and techniques
We'll need you to:
- Work with Editorial to bolster newsletter deployment strategies
- Work with Marketing to enhance subscription and/or marketing messages
- Work with Circulation to strengthen efficient acquisition strategies
- Work with Advertising to monetize data distribution
You'll work with our product, marketing, sales and audience teams to develop models to support specific business needs. You'll be gathering and analyzing data to help make recommendations and be expected to present your findings and recommendations to our leadership team. This is a great opportunity to lead and develop a defined data strategy to help us achieve our strategic objectives.
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of databases and data analysis procedures. You will also be tech-savvy and possess excellent troubleshooting skills.
- A multi-disciplined candidate with an equally strong background in both Mathematics and Statistics, as well as Computer Science
- Experience communicating with diverse teams of content producers, marketing specialists, audience developers, product managers, ad operations, sales leadership and executive management
- Experience developing solutions for company-wide use
- Excellent understanding of data administration and management functions (collection, analysis, solution recommendations, analytical insights, etc.)
- Familiarity with big data platforms, modern databases, and information system technologies
- Understanding of online user behavior metrics, content optimization, digital advertising and ad serving optimization, and web analytics
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Access, Word etc.)
- An analytical mindset with problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Southern California News Group is an equal opportunity employer who supports a diverse workforce. We offer competitive wages and benefits packages that include medical, dental, vision, 401(K) plan and more. Learn more about us by visiting us at www.socalnewsgroup.com