- Denver, CO
The Denver Post is a full-service media company, reaching more Denver-area adults every day of the week than any other medium in the market. The Denver Post’s diverse portfolio of digital, mobile, print and social media products includes Colorado’s largest daily newspaper, the state’s most-visited news website, DenverPost.com, and the largest network of websites, which includes DailyCamera.com and TimesCall.com.
With mobile news apps for smart phones and tablets, social media connections, e-Editions, blogs, e-newsletters, breaking news alerts along with Colorado’s largest daily newspaper and website, today’s Denver Post has something for everybody on every media platform.
We are looking for a highly motivated and dynamic Controller to join our Finance team supporting both The Denver Post and our Prairie Mountain Media properties. This role will ensure timely and accurate financial closes, and work closely with our Shared Services Center, our corporate office, and newspaper publishers on all areas of finance and accounting. This position reports to the CFO and will manage a team of up to three accountants.
What you will be doing:
• Manage month-end close process for fifteen different newspaper locations, including outsourced functions
• Develop close processes and timelines to be followed by all staff for newly-consolidated group
• Act as company’s key accounting resource on all technical accounting matters
• Provide P&L analysis including variances from budget to management
• Provide financial analysis as needed around capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
• Ensure balance sheet appropriately stated, assist outsourced group on balance sheet reconciliations
• Coordinate with sales tax, bank, and financial statement auditors
• Issue timely and complete financial statements
• Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
• Bachelor Degree in Accounting
• CPA certification
• Minimum six years of progressive experience in an Accounting role
• Able to demonstrate advanced Excel skills including macros, power pivot, & advanced formulas
• Other technical skills: JD Edwards/Hyperion/ or similar financial system, Power Point, CRM
• Good business judgment and ability to analyze, uncover & synthesize insights from large sets of data
• Has a natural curiosity and investigative mindset
• Strong attention to detail including a high level of accuracy and timeliness
• Ability to define business objectives and performance.
• Ability to work well independently in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and work under tight deadlines
• Ability to summarize and clearly communicate findings to sales directors and executive management
This is a full-time position, located in Denver (5990 Washington Street, Denver, CO 80216).
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.