Data Mining Analyst
- Monrovia, CA
With a full suite of multi-platform editorial and advertising products, Southern California News Group (SCNG) is one of the most powerful and influential media companies in Southern California. Our family of eleven (11) daily newspapers, associated websites, social media channels, multiple weekly newspapers and magazines and creative marketing services forms a powerful communications tool that can drive your company’s message home in America’s 2nd largest market. We are an extensive, integrated network of local brands that attract local audiences in markets that matter.
SCNG is owned by Digital First Media (DFM), headquartered in Denver, CO. DFM reaches 57 million Americans each month through more than 800 multi-platform products across 18 states.
The Data Mining Analyst will be responsible gathering the appropriate financial and statistical data from our financial reporting, advertising, circulation and production systems and organizing / summarizing that data for use of others within the financial planning and analysis team as well as for other departments that we support. This analyst must be intimately familiar with the data that resides in each of our systems and how to go about extracting that data. This analyst must be able to formulate how the use of that data can be used to improve the operations of the appropriate departments and to explain the meaning of that data to others. This analyst will work closely with other members of the financial planning and analysis team. In addition to supporting the operations departments this analyst may also be the primary analyst for selected publications to be designated and will work with all of the people associated with those entities to provide them any support or analysis that they may need as well as participating in the flash, month-end review, month-end variance reporting, budgeting, forecasting and any ad hoc reporting that may be necessary. This analyst will also participate in various company wide financial projects. This analyst’s time will mainly be divided between the Anaheim and Monrovia offices and will require occasional travel to the other offices throughout Southern California.
- This person should have a strong work ethic
- Be detail oriented and have strong analytical and organizational skills
- Have the ability to complete projects in an accurate and timely manner
- Have the ability to manage multiple projects at the same time
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must be well organized; have the knowledge to retrieve, research and organize data to prepare financial reports and documentation
- Have the ability to work well with others in a fast paced environment; work independently and as a member of a team; establish and maintain a positive working relationships with members of the finance team and other employees throughout the company
- Keep sensitive financial data confidential
- Ability to analyze and audit data to detect and correct errors; set up and maintain spreadsheets
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures
- Have an advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of budgeting and reporting tools (BPC and COGNOS)
- Have experience working on online accounting systems (JDE and MACTIVE)
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance is preferred
Southern California News Group is an equal opportunity employer who support a diverse workforce. We offer competitive wages and benefits packages that include medical, dental, vision, 401(K) plan and more. Learn more about us by visiting us at www.socalnewsgroup.com