Linguist Traslators_ Yoruba/ Igbo
About Digital Divide Data (DDD)
Digital Divide Data (DDD) is a US-based non-profit, mission-driven enterprise with the goal of using technology and digital skills to bridge the divide between economically and socially marginalized youth and employment opportunities that lead to a sustainable and viable future. DDD identifies talented but underserved youth in Africa and Asia (Kenya, Cambodia, and Laos are the main centers) to enter formal employment, undergo professional training and skills development, and pursue tertiary education. Our headquarters are in New York, and we have over 1,500 employees across our operations in Kenya, Cambodia, and Laos.
About the program
The localization industry is growing fast, and the need for skilled Yoruba / Igbo translators is growing. We are looking for talents with great language skills in Yoruba/ Igbo with the aim to equip them by providing hands on opportunities to multilingual people, who are professional translators.
- Perform mostly IT-themed and consumer-oriented translations in the client-owned translation tool
- Translate various types of content, including marketing, help, and UI
- Master or learn the tools associated with translation work (e.g. tools for creating queries or checking the live UI elements)
- Precisely follow the established translation process, e.g. always raise queries when there is a need to
- Learn the style guide and overall client’s requirements, e.g. stylistic preferences
- Improve based on the corrections made by the senior team members as well as the client reviewers
- Keep track of personal error statistics and work on the weak spots
- Take part in the internal training and the ones organized by the client
- Participate in the error arbitration process
- Meet the productivity KPIs
- Take part in the internal quality meetings and the quality calls organized by the client for the whole team
- Constantly analyze own gaps and think of what assistance the senior members and the client can provide to help address those
- University degree preferably in Linguistics, Journalism or Mass Communication
- Fluent in English (both written and spoken, in a wide range of registers)
- Fluent in Yoruba/ Igbo (with an understanding of conversational and easy-to-read Yoruba / Igbo, plus excellent spelling and grammar of standard Yoruba/ Igbo.
- Passion for languages, specifically in Yoruba / Igbo.
- Passion for the world of technology
- Passion for reading and writing in Yoruba / Igbo, creative writing, poetry
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. If interested kindly submit your application on or before 4th March 2022.Kindly ensure to fill out this form as part application.