Software Engineer - Web Front End
Diamond Kinetics’ (diamondkinetics.com) enhances the games of baseball and softball by creating engaging experiences that help players improve and also have fun. We are the market leader in mobile motion technology and information that enables player development, superior equipment fitting, objective scouting and recruiting, and engagement-driven entertainment. We do this leveraging an exclusive license to patents issued from the University of Michigan and the University of Pittsburgh, deep technical expertise, key strategic partnerships, and our love for the game.
Diamond Kinetics is a fast-paced, performance-driven company where responsibility comes fast, and exceeding expectations is the expectation. The work is challenging but exciting, especially for those who love sports. We believe in stretching for growth as a company, and as professionals, and seek competitive, self-motivated people as teammates who do the same.
Our small, highly collaborative, growing software/R&D team is a great opportunity for talented engineers to impact our technology from the ground up.
Web Software Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA / Remote
Seeking a Web Software Engineer to help build the next generation of web applications in baseball & softball technology. Diamond Kinetics is looking for a high-performance engineer interested in taking our existing web application to the next level. As a developer at Diamond Kinetics, you must be passionate about delivering web experiences that delight users with their simplicity while the difficult work of data storage & synchronization, data display, and 3D rendering is handled seamlessly behind the scenes. Your work will be leveraged across multiple platforms, including desktop and mobile web as well as in embedded web views within the highly performant Diamond Kinetics mobile app
You will be joining a small cross-discipline engineering team that works on a complex stack ranging from iOS applications, embedded devices, API, machine learning, and web front end. An ideal candidate is inquisitive about other areas of technology they aren’t familiar with and passionate about teaching others about the areas they know well. The web application is a key component of what Diamond Kinetics does and as such you will be working closely with the full team to bring cutting-edge technology into the hands of baseball and softball players around the world.
Our stack is complex, the work is rewarding, and you will learn about topics outside of what you studied at school. As a Web Software Engineer on the team, you will build robust data synchronization methods to more effectively and efficiently synchronize data across thousands of devices, visualize that data in novel and unique ways, allow users to administer their accounts, interface with our e-commerce backend, and of course, build a web application used by hundreds of thousands of baseball and softball players to get better and have fun.
Job Function and Purpose
The Web Software Engineer is responsible for the development and maintenance of the web front end served to Diamond Kinetics users through their preferred browser or embedded in views within the DK mobile app. This person utilizes their knowledge of web development and browser capabilities to work closely with the rest of the development team to bring delightful user experiences to life.
As a web Software Engineer at Diamond Kinetics, you will join our team of experienced application developers, mechanical engineers, and sports marketers to design new capabilities and applications that leverage Diamond Kinetics’ wealth of data and content, including that from our partner Major League Baseball (MLB) to surprise and delight users across various experiences.
Diamond Kinetics’ team and our product offerings are growing quickly, so the role requires an energetic and self-motivated individual with excellent communication, organization, and technical skills to work cross-functionally with other organizations (internal and external), who can communicate to all levels of management.
- Development of applications, services, and test suites for modern web platforms
- Work from designs to create compelling user interfaces, preferably with the Angular framework
- Creation of 2D and 3D data visualizations that give meaning and understanding to our baseball and softball metrics using d3.js and similar frameworks
- Collaborate with the API team to surface more data and content from our robust backend
- Ability to accurately estimate the time required for development tasks
- Work well within software development best practices including continuous integration, accuracy testing & reporting, centralized logging, crash reporting, modularized architecture, etc.
- Effectively engage with customers (coaches, players, and parents) during real-life use of the mobile software developed
- Assist in the continued successful software development life-cycle of the company
- Unique and exciting opportunity to work at an MLB-backed early-stage company
- Flexible work environment in our office in Pittsburgh, PA, or remotely in US timezones
- Must be legally eligible to work in the United States of America either as a US Citizen or Green Card holder, though sponsorship may be considered for the right candidate
- Competitive compensation package
- Diamond Kinetics is an equal opportunity employer
- B.S. or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Information Networking, or equivalent field of study
- 5-10 years of industry experience with a track record of success in product development and deployment
- Familiarity with modern web development frameworks especially Angular and/or React
- Experience in creating unit tests using automated testing frameworks
Additional Desired Experience
- Experience with Typescript
- Strong familiarity with UX best practices
- Understanding and passion for the games of baseball and/or softball
- Comfortable with advanced physics concepts and equations
- Python development experience
- Start-up and/or early-stage company experience
- Experience building consumer-facing products, including any design background
While this job can be performed remotely, remote employees must work from within the United States and work the majority of their time within the continental US timezones (UTC-4 to UTC-8).
The intent of this job description is to provide a non-exhaustive representation of the type of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Diamond Kinetics may supplement, modify, or eliminate responsibilities from time to time, at its discretion. Diamond Kinetics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee success.