First Cook/Relief Chef
WHO ARE WE?
We've been serving Canadian clients for over 75 years. The companies that began independently and now form Dexterra Group have an outstanding record of supporting the infrastructure and built assets that play a vital role in our society and helping our clients achieve higher performance and productivity. Powered by passionate people, we bring the right teams with the right skills together – offering both experience and regional expertise so companies can operate their day to day, confidently and successfully.
WHAT’S THE JOB?
Based in a world class Horizon North camp facility, the regular shift for this position is 20 days on and 10 days off, with 10 - 12 hour workdays. Transportation is provided to site from a pickup point in Edmonton.
The First Cook/Relief Chef position will include relief duties for the Chef on a regular basis. You will be responsible for preparing and cooking all main meals as per requirements; and ensuring all meals are prepared and served on time to the highest standards of Horizon North. Also, you will prepare, present, and serve top quality meals according to menu specifications.
This position is safety sensitive and requires drug, alcohol and fit to work testing as a condition of employment.
Your work will include:
- Provide Relief Coverage for Chef, Second Cook and Baker/Breakfast on occasion
- Ensure food costs are controlled and groceries are utilized effectively
- Supervise Staff in the Chef’s absence; Provide mentorship and training to new staff
- Stocking / Inventory / assisting with unloading, loading and placing of groceries and supplies
- Incorporate into preparation any requests to comply with special dietary constraints
- Ensure paperwork and inventories are accurately completed and forwarded to head office as instructed.
- Assist Leadership in performing administrative tasks (i.e ordering the supplies from our suppliers in the chef’s absence).
- Change menu options quickly to adapt to grocery order issues
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Enjoy excellent work-life balance with a 20 days on/10 days off rotation.
- Extended health and dental benefits that are fully covered.
- Travel time is paid.
- Whereas other companies are downsizing, we are growing!
- Be #1 on day 1 by joining an industry leader.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- You have formal culinary training – Red Seal Certification preferred
- SafeCheck advanced food safety certification or HACCP certification is an asset.
- You have 5 years of cooking experience in a similar or hotel/institutional environment preferred
- Ideally, you have Food Safe, First Aid, and WHMIS
- You have an ability and desire to work independently with minimal supervision, and as a team player
- You have knowledge of computer programs (Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Sysco, Outlook)
- You have an excellent practical and theoretical background in all areas of the kitchen i.e: Hot Kitchens, Cold Kitchens, Pastry / Bakery, Butchery and Banquets dealing with large numbers of guests
Dexterra Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans’ status, Indigenous status, or any other legally protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the hiring selection process are available upon request.