- Remote, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
WHO ARE WE?
We've been serving Canadian clients for over 75 years. The companies that began independently and now form Dexterra Group have an outstanding record of supporting the infrastructure and built assets that play a vital role in our society and helping our clients achieve higher performance and productivity. Powered by passionate people, we bring the right teams with the right skills together – offering both experience and regional expertise so companies can operate their day to day, confidently and successfully.
WHAT’S THE JOB?
Reporting to the Senior Geologist, the Geological Technician plays a key role in the safe and efficient collection of quality exploration data including core processing, geophysical surveying and line cutting. The position is based at Noront’s remote Esker Site.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (including but not limited to):
- Drill Support - Assist in drill trail and drill pad preparation, down hole orientation surveys, drill core processing, including core moving, Rock Quality Determination, cutting, box labelling, sampling, and shipment.
- Geophysical Support - Assist with surveying of cut lines and loops using differential GPS and assist with cutting and chaining of grid lines where required.
- Soil Sampling Support - Assist in the proper collection, marking and bagging of soil samples using hand augers, following the standard operating procedure for soil sampling.
- Follow health and safety responsibilities, under all applicable government legislations and Noront policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in and contribute to a Positive Safety Culture on the project including following all Noront and Outland Safe Work Practices and Procedures, wearing and maintaining PPE and participating in Safety Meetings and Training as required.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Interest and/or experience in Geology/Mining.
- Chain Saw Operator certificate is required.
- Emergency First Aid certificate required.
- Working knowledge of/experience with snowmobiles and ATVs.
- Minimum of 2-3 years working in the bush or a remote camp setting.
- Previous line cutting and geophysical experience is an asset.
- Working knowledge of drill core handling/storage/cutting, and sampling is an asset.
- Ability to follow directions and remain adaptable to changing work plans.
- Ability to work efficiently and productively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Physically fit and able to handle the following physical demands:
- Lift, carry, push, or pull up to 50 lbs.
- Walk on un-even terrain, including climbing and while carrying gear.
- Stand, walk, squat, kneel or sit according to task for extended lengths of time.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- All meals and accommodations provided while working at site.
- Geological Technicians work on a 2-weeks in/2-weeks off rotational schedule. You are expected to work weekdays, weekends, and general holidays during your 2-week shift.
- Wages are paid on an hourly basis on an Overtime Averaging Agreement. Specific pay details are discussed at the interview phase.
- Outland and Noront are both well-established companies with strong roots in northern Ontario. Outland and Noront prioritize the development of our northern workforces and provide opportunity for growth and advancement within our organizations.
Dexterra Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans’ status, Indigenous status, or any other legally protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the application process are available upon request.