Director of Product Development (Relocation Assistance)
- 240 4 Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2P 4H4, Canada
Dexterra Integrated Facilities Management and Horizon North Logistics Inc. have effectively combined to create a leading, Canadian support services platform that provides the scale, capabilities and access to talent to deliver on significant future growth opportunities. Horizon North is a Calgary, Alberta based, publicly listed corporation (TSX: HNL.TO) providing a range of industrial services and modular construction solutions.
This is a Kamloops based role. Relocation assistance will be provided to candidates residing in Calgary and anywhere else in Canada.
Does innovation in modular building interest you?
Great people who have passion for their work and who are excited by the possibilities of modular construction, people driven by a desire to innovate and do social good. That is what you get when you work for Horizon North Modular Solutions. We are proud of the work we do. Our customers rely on us explicitly to build their spaces: To live. To work. To thrive. We are on a journey to move construction forward and we want you to be a part of it.
Make an Impact
The Director of Product Development is a critical, newly created role that is focused on developing market-leading design capability and initiating product development activity. This position will work closely with the marketing, sales, estimating, supply chain, manufacturing engineering, production and construction teams (in British Columbia and Alberta), as well as with external consultants. If the role is carried out successfully, the following outcomes will be achieved:
- Strong, lasting partnerships have been developed with capable partner organizations in architecture, engineering and design drafting.
- A standardized product architecture that enables consistent delivery of high quality, high value (high utility, green, low cost), customer tailored (configurable) solutions has been developed for core products.
- The latest product technology has been integrated into product / project offerings.
- Design execution has been optimized through the effective implementation of project management processes and systems, as well as design standards.
What you’ll do
- Develop and implement mid-term (1-2yr) departmental plans aligned with the company vision and strategy.
- Directly lead a team of design managers and engineering discipline managers.
- Develop a flexible, scalable design organization.
- Develop internal and external team capability, challenging and supporting the team through their development.
- Measure, analyze and improve design performance.
- Model behaviors and practices that foster creativity and innovation.
- Create a product roadmap in collaboration with the sales and marketing teams.
- Actively scan the external environment to identify technologies that would support the organization’s value innovation and/or product innovation objectives.
- Develop relationships with research bodies.
- Represent the company at technical and industry conferences and events.
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be required.
- A university degree in architecture or engineering. Advanced degree an asset.
- > 12 years of experience in commercial building architecture or engineering (offsite construction / modular building experience would be an asset) AND/OR in a discrete manufacturing environment (low volume / high mix experience would be an asset)
- > 9 years of experience in architecture, engineering and/or design.
- > 6 years of experience in a people management, including managing managers.
- A deep theoretical and practical understanding of the design process as well as proven skills and experience in implementing process improvements that resulted in significant, measurable improvements in design execution / product development outcomes.
- A deep understanding of problem-solving methodologies as well as the skills necessary to structure and solve abstract / complex technical problems effectively.
- A solid, practical understanding of the commercialization process and the value of concurrent engineering therein.
- Experience with CAD / solid modelling / BIM / architectural drafting systems such as Revit.
- Experience with PLM/PDM systems such as Agile an asset.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment and establish strong collaborative working relationships.
- Passion for and demonstrated ability in developing technical individuals and teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and professionally in a dynamic environment while
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills essential.
The Work Environment
- Office environment with a flexible work schedule, potentially requiring work on evenings and weekends. Trained, as necessary, in required safety protocols.
- Some travel required – approx. 20%
As an employer of choice, we treat all our employees consistently and fairly to help you achieve personal and professional ambitions.
Dexterra and Horizon North are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation in these processes.
We thank all applicants for considering a career with us; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Currently, we do not require assistance from recruitment agencies, Thank you.