Associate Engineer - Philadelphia and Chicago locations
- 123 S Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19109, USA
Design Science is a human factors research firm, founded in 1991. Our mission is to amplify the needs of patients, their caregivers, and healthcare professionals in order to cultivate the advancement of healthcare technology. We do this in partnership with some of the world’s leading medical device and pharmaceutical companies, harnessing the skills of members of our organization in human factors research, design, and video to collect important insights about how users interact with medical products. Research results in outcomes like easier and faster therapies, and ultimately, a better quality of life for patients.
Design Science is headquartered in the heart of Philadelphia, PA, with offices in Evanston, IL and Munich, Germany. We have over 30 employees working across our three locations. Our team is made up of diverse, talented, caring individuals who value socially impactful work in a collaborative culture. We offer the opportunity to grow as a professional, experiencing a wide variety of projects and clients in a growing organization.
Reporting to an appointed supervisor, Associate Engineers work together in multi-disciplinary teams to execute research and usability testing for a variety of projects. The Associate Engineer I works within well-defined guidelines to manage videography for data capture; moderate usability testing sessions; conduct field research; summarize, prepare and analyze data; and evaluate results of the data for deliverable creation.
- Study environment & video equipment set-up
- Site visits for observational research
- Moderating testing sessions
- Root cause analysis
- Data entry
- Data analysis
- Data management
- Video review & analysis
- Video & data backup
- Report writing
- Study supply tracking & inventory
- BS/BA in human factors engineering, biomedical engineering, industrial engineering, or related field required.
- Ability to analyze data using excel and appropriate statistical techniques and to visualize / present data in a form that is easily understood.
- Excellent listening and observation skills.
- Excellent quantitative skills.
- Strong writing skills.
- Advanced to expert proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Proficiency in a variety of data collection software/programs (e.g. OpenClinica, Qualtrics, etc.)
- Ability to work full time at the Design Science office in Philadelphia, PA and to travel 20-30% of the time, domestically and internationally.
- Willingness to undergo background checks, drug/health screenings as required for research purposes
- Good organizational skills and ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Evidence of interdisciplinary collaboration across a variety of fields, including engineering, design and psychology.
- Finalists will be required to successfully pass a background check.
Additional Desired Skills / Experience:
- Ability to deploy a variety of research techniques to collect and process data across multiple areas of company’s portfolio of work (field research, usability testing, ergonomics, etc.)
- Experience with, or interest in, medical devices, product development and/or design.
- Experience with, or knowledge of, FDA regulatory guidance on usability and medical devices.
Here’s what we’re offering:
- Full-time, salaried, exempt position
- Compensation commensurate with experience
- Benefits: Health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance(s), 401k with match, 20 days PTO to start, paid holidays, medical, transit/parking and dependent care FSA's, work from home and flex work options, and more!
We have a total of 5 open positions available in our Evanston or Philadelphia offices (we are back in the office as of June 21, 2021 with our previous flexible working arrangement in place).
Resume / cover letter required.
Visit our website / blog at www.dscience.com for more information, or check us out on social media @designscience.
We would also love to see:
• Ability to deploy a variety of research techniques to collect and process data across multiple areas of company’s portfolio of work (field research, usability testing, ergonomics, etc.).
• Experience with, or interest in, medical devices, product development and/or design.
• Experience with, or interest in, regulatory guidance pertaining to medical devices.
• Proficiency in a variety of data collection software / programs (e.g. OpenClinica, Retc.).
Resume / cover letter required.
Visit our website / blog at www.dscience.com for more information, or check us out on social media @designscience .
Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Design Science celebrates the equal exchange of ideas and opinions from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences shared by our colleagues in Evanston, Philadelphia and Munich.