- 92800 Puteaux, France
WHO WE ARE | Founded in 2018 and headquartered in Paris, Descartes Underwriting was born of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolution in the insurance industry to better protect individuals, businesses, and governments. We provide data-driven insurance products based on satellite imagery and IoT to protect corporate and public sector clients against climate risk and natural catastrophes. Following a Series A funding of 18m USD in September 2020, we opened offices in New York, Singapore, Sydney and London. Today, Descartes’ ambitious and international team of 45+ is proud to protect 150+ clients – several from the Fortune 500 – in 60+ countries.
OUR PURPOSE | Losses from catastrophes and man-made disasters are likely to increase year after year due to demographic density and climate change. We firmly believe that the insurance sector can and must play a critical role in helping enterprises and individuals cope with climate risk. This will require, however, a deep transformation of the sector, as current insurance products often lack transparency, carry expensive premiums, and come with slow claims processing.
OUR APPROACH | True to our namesake, René Descartes, one of the greatest European scientific philosophers of the 17th Century, our company draws a distinct advantage in challenging the approach adopted by traditional insurers. Utilizing forward-looking models and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery, IoT and big data analytics, Descartes’ products help businesses bounce back faster. In collaboration with our partners, our parametric insurance products can serve clients across the globe, from mid-size tickets to EUR +100 million.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Due to our consistent growth, we are seeking to increase our support functions and are recruiting for a Personal Assistant. In close collaboration with our Co-Founders and top management, you will work on a variety of topics and tasks demonstrating your versatility to assist us in smooth operational management.
- Act as an interface between our CEO & Co-Founders and their internal/external contacts
- Managing our CEO’s, Co-Founders’ and managers’ agendas as necessary
- Organize internal and external meetings and/or calls for top management
- Manage and submit expenses on behalf of top management
- Organize travel as well as personal and professional activities, logistics and coordination
- Organize team events including teambuilding sessions, seminars, training, social events etc.
- Carry out additional tasks as requested by the CEO
- Manage inbound and outbound mail (France and internationally)
- Conduct effective stock management for office equipment, general supplies, IT equipment etc.
- Order office supplies and equipment as necessary e.g. for new members of our team, in France and internationally
- Assist with certain HR related tasks and administration including;
- Drafting employment contracts
- Setting up HR functions – Alan, Swile, Payfit etc
- Completing reference checks
- Organizing welcome meetings for new team members
- Managing the onboarding process for new team members
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Prior experience working in an agile and international environment
- Prior experience as a Personal Assistant – valued
- You have a track record of working with Microsoft Office
- You have demonstrated how to conduct project management effectively
- You have a strong sense of confidentiality and stakeholder management
- Fluency in English and French (written and verbal communication) – required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both internally and externally
- Comfortable coordinating with people at all levels of seniority
- Able to work on a versatile range of tasks at one time, with ability to prioritize
- Be resourceful, adaptable and can think outside of the box
- Eye for quality and strong attention to detail
- Results oriented, high energy, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment
- Excellent team player with an entrepreneurial mindset and value of diversity
- Desire to take on new challenges associated with existing in a startup environment
- Motivated to learn and help improve businesses’ and communities’ resilience to climate change
- Displays autonomy and ownership in his/her work
- Ability to take a proactive, hands-on approach to solving current and forthcoming issues
- Strong desire to learn and commitment to the organization’s mission
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Work in a rewarding and international environment
- Gain exposure to working with top management
- Professional growth by working on diverse topics (Operational management, facility management, human resources etc.)
- Commitment from Descartes to its staff of continued learning and development (think annual seminars, training etc.)
- Frequent team events