Strategy Analyst (CDI)
- 92800 Puteaux, France
WHO WE ARE | Founded in 2018 and headquartered in Paris, Descartes Underwriting was born of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolution in the insurance industry to better protect individuals, businesses, and governments. We provide data-driven insurance products based on satellite imagery and IoT to protect corporate and public sector clients against climate risk and natural catastrophes. Following a Series A funding of 18m USD in September 2020, we opened offices in New York, Singapore, Sydney and London. Today, Descartes’ ambitious and international team of 40+ is proud to protect 100+ clients – several from the Fortune 500 – in 60+ countries.
OUR PURPOSE | Losses from catastrophes and man-made disasters are likely to increase year after year due to demographic density and climate change. We firmly believe that the insurance sector can and must play a critical role in helping enterprises and individuals cope with climate risk. This will require, however, a deep transformation of the sector, as current insurance products often lack transparency, carry expensive premiums, and come with slow claims processing.
OUR APPROACH | True to our namesake, René Descartes, one of the greatest European scientific philosophers of the 17th Century, our company draws a distinct advantage in challenging the approach adopted by traditional insurers. Utilizing forward-looking models and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery, IoT and big data analytics, Descartes’ products help businesses bounce back faster. In collaboration with our partners, our parametric insurance products can serve clients across the globe, from mid-size tickets to EUR +100 million.
The Strategy Analyst will assist the Chief of Staff to the CEO of Descartes Underwriting in several key activities. This role is a great opportunity to join a growing team and to explore nearly all facets of a Tech start-up at the forefront of innovation in insurance.
- Contribute to the definition of the Group’s strategy & vision
- Coordinate with teams to ensure a swift implementation of the Group’s strategy
- Prepare ad-hoc studies (market studies, product benchmark, competitive watch…) at the request of the CEO or the Advisory Committee
SUPPORT TO TOP MANAGEMENT
- Contribute to legal, regulatory, administrative and commercial tasks for the CEO
- Support the operational ramp-up of Descartes’ Hubs with the regional Heads
- Prepare the CEO’s interactions with existing and future shareholders, in particular in the preparation of Advisory Committees or fundraising
CROSS FUNCTIONAL COLLABORATION
- Conduct the strategic dialogue between the Group and the entities
- Assist the Chief of Staff in the preparation of regular meetings (monthly meetings, seminars) in close collaboration with Descartes’ teams
- Contribute to miscellaneous projects with the HR, Underwriting, R&D, Business Development & Operations team as-needed
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Completed a master’s degree from a Business/ Engineering school/ University
- Previous experience in consulting, strategy or finance (M&A, PE, VC) is highly desired
- Proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint & Excel
- Fluency in French and English (written and verbal communication) required – good command of one additional language (e.g. Chinese, Italian, German, Spanish…) valued
- Eye for quality and attention to detail
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis (market sizing, business planning…)
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Eager to learn more about the insurance industry
- Results oriented, high energy, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment
- Autonomy and ownership in his / her work
- Excellent team player with an entrepreneurial mindset and value of diversity
- Ability to take a proactive hands-on approach to solving current and forthcoming problems
- Strong desire to learn and commitment to the organization’s mission
- Motivated to help improving businesses’ and communities’ resilience to climate change
WHATS IN IT FOR YOU?
- Discover an InsurTech from top to bottom
- Work in a rewarding and international environment
- Get exposure to top management
- Grow professionally by working with former strategy consultants on diverse topics
- Take on management responsibilities as both you and the company develop