- Paris, France
WHO WE ARE | Founded in 2018 and headquartered in Paris, Descartes Underwriting wasborn of the conviction that climate change calls for a revolution in the insurance industry to better protect individuals, businesses, and governments. We provide data-driven insurance products based on satellite imagery and IoT to protect corporate and public sector clients against climate risk and natural catastrophes. Following a Series A funding of 18m USD in September 2020, we opened offices in New York, Singapore, Sydney an London. Today, Descartes’ ambitious and international team of 40+ is proud to protect 100+ clients – several from the Fortune 500 – in 60+ countries.
OUR PURPOSE | Losses from catastrophes and man-made disasters are likely to increase year after year due to demographic density and climate change. We firmly believe that the insurance sector can and must play a critical role in helping enterprises and individuals cope with climate risk. This will require, however, a deep transformation of the sector, as current insurance products often lack transparency, carry expensive premiums, and come with slow claims processing.
OUR APPROACH | True to our namesake, René Descartes, one of the greatest European scientific philosophers of the 17th Century, our company draws a distinct advantage in challenging the approach adopted by traditional insurers. Utilizing forward-looking models and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery, IoT and big data analytics, Descartes’ products help businesses bounce back faster. In collaboration with our partners, our parametric insurance products can serve clients across the globe, from mid-size tickets to EUR +100 million.
We are looking for a Communications Manager to help us expand our global brand, develop our network of corporate brokers and nurture our relationships with key media and trade publications. The position reports to our Senior Product Marketing Lead. We are open to highly qualified candidates in one of our global office locations.
In close collaboration with Descartes’ Marketing Lead, the Communication Manager position will play a vital role in the following activities:
PRESS & MEDIA RELATIONS
- Support creation and roll-out of important company announcements, including office openings, product launches and fundraising news – this includes management of pre-release date announcements and interview coordination.
- Expand our media and trade publication contact network across all company geographies, generating and feeding corporate or product-specific news to key publications and journalists at a regular cadence.
CONTENT CREATION & LEAD GENERATION
- Support execution of Descartes’ wider communication strategy on key social media and market specific media channels.
- Help manage our marketing tools through various channels – website, social media, webinars, etc – and assist in scoring and filtering qualified contacts for efficient sales handoff.
- Play a key role in the creation of thought leadership, brand awareness, and product marketing content, while supporting posting schedule for multiple markets and geographies.
- Provide website support, updating content, publishing news stories, creating lead generation forms and implementing SEO strategy.
- Participate in the organization of events, conferences, and speaking opportunities for Descartes’ global offices.
- Manage and update marketing platform and customer relationship management systems on Salesforce & Hubspot – this includes supporting marketing automation, lead scoring and sales handoff processes, as well as monitoring and reporting on key performance indicators.
CROSS FUNCTIONAL COLLABORATION
- Collaborate with Marketing, Business Development & Executive team on new ideas, directions, and tools for marketing and communications.
- Coordinate with business developers from Descartes’ global office locations to tailor marketing campaigns and events.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree in Marketing/Communication or 3+ years of related experience that demonstrates skillset
- Previous communication experience in one or more of the following fields is highly desired: science & technology, climate or environmental topics, finance, insurance
- Excellent attention to detail, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Native English speaker required – Good command of one additional language (e.g. Chinese, French, Italian, German, Spanish…) valued.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Familiarity with marketing techniques & tools: social media management, campaign development, website content management, graphic design, CRM platforms, including Hubspot.
- High level of digital literacy and ability to learn new technology quickly.
- Strong desire to learn and commitment to the organization’s mission.
- Results oriented, high energy, with the ability to work in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment
- Excellent team player with an entrepreneurial mindset and value of diversity
- Motivated to help improving businesses’ and communities’ resilience to climate change