Business Development Director
WHO WE ARE | Descartes Underwriting is an InsurTech founded in 2018 by seasoned insurers and entrepreneurs. We are structured as an Underwriting Agent, underwriting risks on behalf of a selected number of first-tier (re)insurers and Insurance-Linked Securities funds. Our team works exclusively with brokers to provide data-driven, parametric policies that protect businesses and governments against climate risk and Nat Cat exposure. Today Descartes’ ambitious and multicultural team of 35 is based in Paris, New York, Houston and Singapore. We are proud to be financed by BlackFin Capital Partners, Serena Capital & Cathay Innovation.
OUR PURPOSE | Losses from catastrophes and man-made disasters are likely to increase year after year due to demographic density and climate change. We firmly believe that the insurance sector can and must play a critical role in helping enterprises and individuals cope with climate risk. This will require, however, a deep transformation of the sector, as current insurance products often lack transparency, carry expensive premiums, and come with slow claims processing.
OUR APPROACH | True to our namesake, René Descartes, one of the greatest European scientific philosophers of the 17th Century, our company draws a distinct advantage in challenging the approach adopted by traditional insurers. We are driven by the conviction that new technologies can deeply change the insurance sector; delivering superior customer value, frictionless claims management, and optimized solutions for emerging risks. Utilizing forward-looking models and real-time monitoring from satellite imagery, IoT and big data analytics, Descartes’ products help businesses bounce back faster. In collaboration with our partners, our parametric policies can serve clients across the globe, and in the European Economic Area alone, we have the capacity to underwrite EUR 75 million per deal.
We are looking for a Business Development Director who would help us expand in South-East Asia, develop our network of corporate brokers and nurture our relationship with risk carriers. The position reports to our Head of South East Asia.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
- Interact with corporate brokers on a daily basis to fuel a strong deal pipeline
- Create and maintain a positive & trust-based relationship with (re)insurers and brokers to secure renewals
- Promote Descartes Underwriting as a centre of excellence for product innovation and climate risk modelling
- Coordinate with relevant stakeholders to ensure smooth underwriting & claim settlement
- Contribute to the operational ramp-up of Descartes’ Hub in Singapore
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Effectively collaborate with data science, underwriting and business development teams to meet business objectives
- Develop and promote an inclusive and multi-cultural environment
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- 3-7 years of experience in the P&C insurance market, ideally as corporate broker
- Working experience in a multi-cultural environment (we are 12+ nationalities within the Descartes’ team in 2021)
- Solid understanding of the Asia-Pacific insurance market and its localized specificities
- Fluency in English (written and verbal communication) – required
- Good command of one additional language (e.g. Chinese, French, Italian) – valued
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- Strong analytical capabilities and financial acumen
- Entrepreneurial mindset and execution focused
- Excellent team player with the ability to work well in a multi-cultural environment
- Willingness to travel across Asia