Risk Advisory – Data Analytics – AWS Data Engineer – Senior Consultant
- 5 Magwa Cres, Waterval City, Midrand, 2066, South Africa
Deloitte is a leading global provider of audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, tax and related services. Our global network of member firms and related entities in more than 150 countries and territories (collectively, the “Deloitte organization”) serves four out of five Fortune Global 500® companies. Learn how Deloitte’s approximately 312,000 people make an impact that matters at www.deloitte.com.
About the Division
The value that Deloitte Risk Advisory Africa creates for organisations is synonymous with operational excellence. Deloitte Analytics is the practice of using data to drive business strategy and performance. It includes a range of approaches and solutions, from looking backward to evaluate what happened in the past to looking forward to conduct scenario planning and predictive modelling.
Deloitte Analytics spans all of the Deloitte functional businesses to address a continuum of opportunities in Information Management, Performance Optimisation and Analytic Insights. By understanding decision-makers’ roles to maximise analytics value, Deloitte turns everyday information into useful and actionable insights.
We assist our clients in solving a wide variety of data related problems and define strategies for them to better manage, interpret and monetize their data assets. We are the leaders in analytics both globally and in South Africa and work across all the big companies, with a large focus on financial services and a strong footprint into the rest of Africa.
Click here to read more about our Risk Advisory practice.
Main Purpose of Job
As an AWS data engineer in our Data Analytics practice, we are looking for people who are passionate about data and technology solutions, are driven to learn about them and keep up with market evolution. You will play an active role throughout the entire engagement cycle, specializing in modern data solutions including data ingestion/data pipeline frameworks, data warehouse & data lake architectures, cognitive computing and cloud services. You will bring your enthusiasm about all things data, have strong problem-solving and analytical skills, are tech savvy and have a solid understanding of software development.
Specifically, in this role, you will:
- As part of a team implement end-to-end modern data platforms in support of analytics and AI use cases
- Collaborate with enterprise architects, data architects, other ETL developers & engineers, data scientists and information designers to lead identification and definition of required data structures, formats, pipelines, metadata, and workload orchestration capabilities
- Address aspects such as data privacy & security, data ingestion & processing, data storage & compute, analytical & operational consumption, data modelling, data virtualization, self-service data preparation & analytics, AI enablement, and API integrations
- Estimate effort and mentor junior colleagues
- Participate in technical meetings with client staff, and advise client with technical option analyses based on leading practices
- Working as a data engineer on AWS but also on other technologies.
Supports Data Analytics team in the implementation of client delivery on specific engagements and applies deep knowledge of technology to drive continuous improvement.
· Good communication skills, both written and verbal
· Interpersonal and relationship building skills
· Desire to develop self
· Client delivery focus
· Focus on quality
· Problem solving ability
Qualifications & Experience required
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in quantitative areas such as Computer Science, Information Management, Big Data & Analytics, or related field is desired.
- One or more of the following AWS certifications is required:
- AWS Solutions Architect – Associate/Professional
- AWS Data Analytics
- AWS Machine Learning
- AWS Developer
- 3+ years’ experience in implementation of creative data solutions leveraging the latest in Big Data frameworks, supporting on-premise or AWS cloud to enable use cases in analytics and AI
- 3+ years’ experience with extraction, transformation and loading of data from a wide variety of traditional and non-traditional sources such as structured, unstructured, and semi-structured using SQL, NoSQL and data pipelines for real-time, streaming, batch and on-demand workloads
- 3+ years’ experience with data warehousing or data lakes.
- Ability to simplify complex technical concepts into easy-to-understand non-technical language in order to facilitate, communicate and interact with executives and business stakeholders, working with Agile development methods in data-oriented projects
*Please note that this job advertisement provides a summary of the capabilities required and all candidates shortlisted will receive a full list of capabilities.