Consulting - Human Capital - Consultant - Java Developer
- 5 Magwa Cres, Waterval City, Midrand, 2066, South Africa
Deloitte is a leading global provider of audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, tax and related services. Our global network of member firms and related entities in more than 150 countries and territories (collectively, the “Deloitte organization”) serves four out of five Fortune Global 500® companies. Learn how Deloitte’s approximately 312,000 people make an impact that matters at www.deloitte.com.
About the Division
Innovation, transformation and leadership occur in many ways. At Deloitte, our ability to help solve clients’ most complex issues is distinct. We deliver strategy and implementation, from a business and technology view, to help lead in the markets where our clients compete.
Our Human Capital services leverage research, analytics, and industry insights to help design and execute the HR, talent, leadership, organisation and change programs that enable business performance through people performance.
Click here to read more about Deloitte Consulting.
Deloitte Human Capital invites you to join our talent community who apply their experience to project-based work with us.
Consulting in one word? Multifaceted. No two days are ever the same. If you’re an outside-the-box thinker who enjoys exploring the myriad ways people, strategy, operations, and process improvement help shape the future of our clients’ organizations, then Consulting may be the right fit for you. At Deloitte, we work hand-in-hand with our clients from across almost every industry to improve business performance, drive shareholder value, and create competitive advantage. Our consultants have a deep interest in business and talent trends, and provide solutions to clients’ most complex issues. So get inspired by the talented people around you.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Intermediate Software Developer to join our software design team. You will report directly to the Development Manager and assist with all functions of software coding and design. Your primary focus will be to develop and enhance functionality across the current platforms and also drive innovation for new development requirements.
To ensure success as a new team member, you will also assist with client support queries, issues resolution and solution deployments. This will assist greatly in enhancing your understanding the of both the systems and environments they are used in.
You should have a very good understanding of programming across multiple languages, the ability to learn new technology quickly, and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Develops information systems by designing, developing, and installing software solutions.
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Develops software solutions by studying information needs, conferring with users, and studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes.
- Investigates problem areas.
- Follows the software development lifecycle.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Prepares and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
- Improves operations by conducting systems analysis and recommending changes in policies and procedures.
- Obtains and licenses software by obtaining required information from vendors, recommending purchases, and testing and approving products.
- Protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Provides information by collecting, analysing, and summarizing development and service issues.
- Accomplishes engineering and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
- Provide exceptional client service in person, phone and email as appropriate.
- Appropriately handling all client issues including troubleshooting and providing feedback to the customer.
- Supports clients per the details contained in the client maintenance and support contracts.
- Provides Level 1/2 Support to clients - resolving technical issues / error messages encountered by clients in a live production environment.
- Technical quality control on new software/solutions. Testing - perform any necessary software / hardware / device testing (internal and external) and documenting outcomes/specifications of these testing/UAT session.
- Attending design sessions (internal and external) and documenting specifications of these sessions.
- Occasional travel to clients.
Software Engineer Qualifications / Skills:
- Analysing information
- General programming skills
- Software design
- Software debugging
- Software documentation
- Software testing
- Problem solving
- Software development fundamentals
- Software development process
- Software requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
- 3-5 years of professional software development experience
- Highly proficient in database design and SQL
- Highly proficient in a server-side language such as C#, Java, Ruby, Python, or PHP
- Experience with CSS/HTML
- Application architecture and design patterns
- Experience serving as technical lead throughout the full software development lifecycle, from conception, architecture definition, detailed design, scoping, planning, implementation, testing to documentation, delivery and maintenance is preferred
- Knowledge of professional software engineering and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications
Key Competencies required / Talent Standards Capabilities:
Leadership / Behavioural Capabilities
- Living our Purpose - Acts as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognizing others for the impact they make
- Influence - Influences clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people • Performance drive - Delivers exceptional client service; maximizes results and drives high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders • Strategic direction - Understands key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligns people to objectives and sets priorities and direction
- Talent development - Develops high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities Cross-Consulting Capabilities • Delivery Excellence - Ability to plan and execute a project to deliver a superior client experience • Knows the Business and Sector - Ability to comprehend how the client’s business works and keep up-to-date on industry/sector trends and leading practices • Analytical Thinking & Problem Solving - Ability to identify and solve problems objectively using analysis, experience and judgment
- Financial Acumen - Ability to incorporate financial information when evaluating business opportunities and making recommendations
- Executive Presence - Ability to develop relationships, establish credibility with and instill confidence in clients • Global Mindset - Ability to leverage cross-geography insights and practitioners to enhance client service delivery
- Business-Technology Acumen - Ability to articulate how technology enables and differentiates the business and communicate this effectively to clients Specialised Capabilities • Mature Domain Expertise - Ability to apply deep, specialized expertise in a particular product/domain to solve complex business issues
- Strategic Planning and Sustainability - Ability to apply a forward-looking perspective to set the client’s strategy and equip the HR function to sustain the strategy
- Transformation Enablement - Ability to manage the execution of a multi-dimensional transformation program that delivers business outcomes and creates a strong qualification for Deloitte Service Line (OT) Capabilities
- Fosters Innovation - Ability to leverage expertise in an offering and sector to generate innovative solutions for clients and continually differentiate our offerings
- Sets the Transformation Agenda - Ability to set the transformation agenda by working with business leaders to address the human factors affecting their organization’s ability to reach its transformation objectives