Consulting - Core Business Operations: Operations Transformation - Software Engineer: Back-End - Java Developer (24 month Contract)
- 5 Magwa Cres, Waterval 5-Ir, Midrand, 2066, South Africa
Deloitte is a leading global provider of audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, tax and related services. Our global network of member firms and related entities in more than 150 countries and territories (collectively, the “Deloitte organization”) serves four out of five Fortune Global 500® companies. Learn how Deloitte’s approximately 312,000 people make an impact that matters at www.deloitte.com.
About the Operations Transformation Team
Our Operations Transformation team focuses on transforming our clients’ core business operations. We advise, design, implement, and deploy solutions focused on “heart of the business” issues in specific sectors including Health Care, Banking & Securities, TMT, Insurance, and Energy & Resources. Our Market Offerings include Operations Excellence, Manufacturing Strategy and Smart Operations, Capital Projects, Payments and Revenue Cycle Innovation and Emerging Business Models.
Our clients seek a fresh perspective on how to create a flexible, innovative business model supported by a strong operations foundation. Professionals will use their deep sector knowledge and technical business operations consulting experience to take a more strategic view of our clients’ priorities, helping them to prepare for growth, embrace the digital agenda and maximize operational efficiency.
Main Purpose of Role
The Java Software Engineer is responsible for creating prototypes, designing and building modules and solutions in an iterative agile cycles, develop, maintain, and optimize the business outcome. This role is responsible for estimating user and technical stories, designing and developing code, writing and executing unit and integration tests, and supporting testing of deliverables against user and technical story acceptance tests. The incumbent is responsible for performing peer reviews, collaborating with architects and other developers to produce “just enough” design, and ensuring that enough technical documentation and training is provided for reference and operational support. This role is responsible for providing software-related operations support, including managing level two and level three incident and problem management.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Estimate user and technical stories to help inform and prioritize backlog
- Design modules according to user stories, UX designs, and technical stories
- Develop solutions according to module designs and deploy using delivery pipeline
- Develop and execute unit and integration tests; support testing against user and technical story acceptance tests
- Suggest improvements to user stories and UX
- Manage technical debt as part of daily activities
- Conduct peer reviews and maintain coding standards
- Manage incidents as level two and level three support
- Manage problems as level two and level three support
- Actively contributing to and improving DevOps processes
- Collaborate closely with Solutions architects to define and refine “Emergent Application Architecture”
- Continuously Improve the quality of software being built by applying clean architecture, clean coding and DevOps best practices
Must have technical / professional qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration, or other related field
- At least 3 years relevant experience of which a minimum of two years is in programming and/or systems analysis applying agile frameworks
- Experience working with agile methodologies, such as Scrum, Kanban, XP, LSD, and FDD
- Development experience in Java/Java EE
- Experience with Spring Boot and Spring Cloud framework
- Experience with Unix/Linux operation systems.
- Experience with common middleware technologies like Redis, Rabbit MQ, Zookeeper.
- Familiar with at least one of the following databases - MySQL/Oracle/SQL Server/PostgreSQL
- Knowledge of software architecture principles
- Experience working in cloud-native environments
- Professional experience and knowledge of the Telecommunications industry preferred
- Certified Scrum Developer (CSD) preferred
- Competency in UX principles and practices preferred
- Experience with the following will be considered an advantage: Git, Spring JPA or any ORM tool, Junit or any Testing Framework, Linux , Kubernetes, AWS EC2, ECS, Spring DI or any DI Framework, Jenkins or any Build/Deploy tools.