Geospatial Modelling Specialist – Fixed Term
- Plot No. 71, Off George Walker Bush Highway, North Dzorwulu, Accra, Ghana
Deloitte is the largest private professional services network in the world. Every day, approximately 312,000 professionals in more than 150 countries demonstrate their commitment to a single vision: to be the standard of excellence, while working towards one purpose – to make an impact that matters.
Deloitte West Africa is a cluster of Deloitte offices that has joined together to provide seamless cross-border services to our clients in the region and to pass on the benefits of scale and access to resources that this organization can generate. Our West Africa practice serves multinationals, large national enterprises, small and medium-sized enterprises and the public sector across these regions: Nigeria and Ghana.
In Ghana, Deloitte is one of the leading professional services organisations, specialising in providing Consulting, Audit, Tax & Regulatory, Business Process Solutions, Risk Advisory and Financial Advisory services. We serve clients in a variety of industries from financial services, to consumer business and industrial products, telecommunications, energy and resources, manufacturing and the public sector.
Our professionals are unified by a collaborative culture that fosters integrity, outstanding value to markets and clients, commitment to each other, and strength from cultural diversity. They are dedicated to strengthening corporate responsibility, building public trust, and making a positive impact in their communities. We understand that our professionals hold interests outside of the work space and we aim to encourage work/life balance, supporting them in all aspects of their lives.
Our talented professionals and our clients understand the link between a strong learning and development programme and the ability for Deloitte to deliver on its promise of consistent, high-quality service delivery worldwide.
Whatever your age, gender or culture, take your career to the next level with the talents and capabilities you will develop at Deloitte.
The USAID West Africa Energy Program (WAEP) works to expand supply of and access to affordable and reliable grid-connected electricity services in West Africa through a range of technical assistance, capacity building, and transactional support to advance Power Africa’s objective in the West Africa region. WAEP will implement targeted interventions to achieve the following three outcomes:
- Increase the supply of power in Ghana/West Africa
- Enable expanded end-user connection to the grid
- Improve the technical and institutional capacity and performance of select national utilities, and other relevant national power sector entities
The Geospatial Modelling Specialist will work with OC 2 Lead to use the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program’s (SAEP) geospatial model or any other suitable model to develop a least-cost geo-referenced strategy for reaching universal access to electricity in Ghana.
General Functions of the Position
The Employee shall perform the following general functions:
- Effectively inspire, lead, manage, and ensure the day-to-day personal performance of all staff under the Employee’s supervision in compliance with the Project Work Plan and the Project administrative and policy manual;
- Lead the development and implementation of the Project’s technical efforts on CLIN 2 (Ghana) Programs.
- Effectively liaise with the CLIN 2 technical teams, cross-cutting team and divisions of USAID on all aspects of the Project Work Plan implementation;
- Conduct all business in a manner that respects local culture;
- Maintain high ethical standards at all times, avoiding any actual or perceived conflicts of interest;
- Abide by all local laws, USAID regulations, and US Embassy/USAID project directives, whether written or verbal; and
- Perform all tasks as may be assigned by the Chief of Party or his/her designee as may be required to contribute to the achievement of Project goals and objectives.
Specific Tasks Applicable to the Position
As directed by the Chief of Party or his/her designee, the Employee shall perform, oversee, and support the performance of the following specific tasks:
- Review and select the USAID SAEP Geospatial model or any other suitable model for the development of a least-cost investment plan for two Service Centres of NEDCo
- Work with OC 2 Lead and NEDCo to identify and select unelectrified communities and obtain the relevant GIS maps of the distribution infrastructure within the two Service Centres.
- Lead efforts to define the unelectrified communities and associated characteristics for the electrification planning with the geospatial model.
- Review data collection template and gather the relevant geospatial and socio – economic data for the geospatial model.
- Identify PUE opportunities in the unelectrified communities and assess PUE impact on least-cost electrification planning using the geospatial model.
- Perform test runs with stakeholders (MoEn, NEDCo, ECG and other relevant stakeholders) to identify data inaccuracies and make the necessary enhancements.
- Lead efforts in the development of the Least-Cost Investment plan for the selected unelectrified communities within the two Service Areas of NEDCo as a pilot.
- Provide capacity building to MoEn, NEDCo, ECG and selected stakeholders in the use of the selected geospatial model for electrification planning
- Work with the OC 2 Lead and MoEn to develop a least-cost geo-referenced investment plan to achieve universal energy access in Ghana through extension of the national electricity grid and distinct technologies for off-grid energy system.
- Possess a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Engineering, IT, Geography or related program
- Minimum of 6 years’ cognate experience in electrification planning using any geospatial-modelling tool.
- Prior experience in working within Sub - Sahara Africa
- Previous experience with USAID and Power Africa preferred, and/or with donor agency programs
- Strong data analytic skills in MS Excel
- Excellent attention to details
What Impact Will You Make?
Every day, your work will make an impact that matters, while you thrive in a dynamic culture of inclusion, collaboration and high performance. As the undisputed leader in professional services, Deloitte is where you’ll find unrivalled opportunities to succeed and realize your full potential.
How You Will Grow
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help build world-class skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs at Deloitte University, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career. Explore Deloitte University, The Leadership Centre. https://deloitte.zoomforth.com/du
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. Every day, Deloitte people are making a real impact in the places they live and work. We pride ourselves on doing not only what is good for clients, but also what is good for our people and the communities in which we live and work—always striving to be an organization that is held up as a role model of quality, integrity, and positive change. Learn more about Deloitte’s impact on the world. https://www2.deloitte.com/global/en/pages/about-deloitte/articles/impact-that-matters.html
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do your research: know some background about the organization and the business area you’re applying to.
Applications from all qualified individuals should be sent before 22 October 2020.