Head of User Experience Research m/f/d
WE ARE THE HOME OF MUSIC
From a French tech start-up created in 2007, Deezer has become one of the first French unicorns and the second largest independent music streaming platform in the world.
Now listed at the #Euronext #TechLeaders segment, growth is accelerating fueled by #Thepowerofmusic. Deezer is ideally positioned to play a key role in the continued development of the booming music streaming market. If you’re looking for an environment where you can grow and have an impact, this is the perfect time to join Deezer!
Our international and passionate teams are spreading the love for music, working to make Deezer the most personal and innovative music streaming service.
We believe music is about diversity & inclusion, multiculturalism and togetherness.
Ready to join the team? Listen: **Join Us**
UXR is integrated into the Product and Tech team at Deezer. We are a group of collaborative, holistic thinkers transforming insight into action with our cross-functional teams. We inspire great end-to-end experiences through thoughtful studies directly with our users and customers. We believe that human-centered decision-making processes lead to responsible design and greater impact on the users and the business.
How about you?
As the Head of User Research overseeing the full Deezer Experience, you are responsible for establishing a clear UXR vision and strategy that will inform and inspire the design direction and decisions for our key product areas in Deezer products. You will work with Product peers to ensure we’re building an ecosystem that enables our users to engage in the app, living strong emotions, sharing delightful experiences with others and making meaningful discoveries . You’re an expert in problem-solving, systems-thinking, relationship-building, and storytelling. You utilize a full range of organizational and interpersonal skills to help your talented teams operate at their highest and most effective level. You are motivated to develop others’ careers and enable success for a team of specialists. You are credible, confident, and articulate. You bring out the best in everyone you work with.
What you will do:
- Build and manage a high performing UX Research team (HR and mentoring).
- Create an open and collaborative culture based on trust in the UX Research team.
- Set clear expectations and goals for UX Researchers while holding them accountable for success.
- Provide clear, actionable feedback and support to develop and grow UX Researchers.
- Support your team's career development by ensuring: 1) they each have a Individual Growth Plan in place, 2) there are frequent check-ins on the plan, and 3) when applicable, special projects are being matched to support each team member's Individual Growth Plan.
Communication & Leadership
- Maintain an accurate and current understanding of the active UX Research projects being worked on by the team.
- Establish trust and build confidence with cross-functional partners and executive leadership (e.g., Design, Product, Engineering, and Product Marketing).
- Clear and succinct communication of insights for peers, partners, and executive leadership to influence strategy, product development and roadmaps.
- Work with other Deezer insight teams (Market Research, Data Analysis, Data Science, Customer Service) to coordinate strategies and triangulate across sources.
- Communicate, advocate for, and socialize actionable insights in a clear and compelling way.
- Regularly sync with Product Management Directors to understand strategy, discover blockers, manage quality, and help ensure UX Research prioritization.
- Build relationships with other managers across disciplines, and act as a liaison with teams throughout the wider organization that have ongoing research needs.
- Exert significant influence on the overall objectives and long-range goals of the UX Research team.
- Communicate strategic information to the team
- Co-construct the strategy of the research division with the team
- Build and develop your research toolkit to extend across all levels of complexity.
- Align with the current Product Management framework and iterate on the existing UXR process to optimize our discovery process and enhance collaboration between teams (UXR, Product, Tech, Design, BiDA)
- Demonstrate, explain, and teach others how to apply a range of research methods, understanding the balance and trade-offs between scrappy research and rigor.
- Personally initiate and conduct research projects to help build foundational knowledge of our Deezer users. Research should consist of a mix of problem validation, foundational research, and strategic research projects.
- Develop and utilize reusable research project prioritization approaches for UX Researchers to leverage within their own initiatives. Work with UX Researchers and Product in applying these approaches to ensure UX Researchers have a clear set of prioritized research projects.
- Actively seek out difficult impediments to our efficiency as a team (process, tooling, etc), and propose and implement solutions that will enable the entire team to work more efficiently.
- Actively contribute to the UX Research team culture, processes, and documentation.
What we are looking for:
- 8+ years of combined hands-on experience through practice and management of User Experience or Design Research in the business context.
- Preferably a degree in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human Factors, Anthropology, Sociology, HCI, or a related field – or equivalent experience.
- A great sense for user-centric design.
- Experience with foundational, formative, and evaluative research methods such as: in-depth interviews, field studies, diaries, card sorting, projective techniques, focus groups, concept/prototype testing, and surveys.
- A proven record of driving change through UX Research
- A true passion for the field of UX Research to evangelize research. Share user insights within the broader organization and externally in creative ways to increase empathy.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. And excellent collaboration skills.
- Proven ability in translating data into actionable insights.
- Highly organised, detail oriented, and able to manage several projects at once.
- Experience with one of: Stata, SPSS, R or other statistical packages is a plus.
- Proficiency in English; French, Portuguese, or German considered as a strong asset.
- Having an analytical mind
If you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d still be a great fit for this role in your application!
At Deezer, you can be your true self as we believe that #everyvoicematters. We strive to build an inclusive culture and foster a diverse environment. Because we care and want to ensure each employee feels welcome and safe at work, we continuously focus on fighting biases and helping diverse teams work well together through multiple learning opportunities, e-learnings and workshops right from the onboarding :
- Regular Diversity & Inclusion internal and external talks
- Dedicated employee work streams on Gender equity, Ethnicity & Culture, Disability and LGBTQ+
- Multiple e-learnings and mandatory training sessions for all managers
- English and French courses for all, so that everyone can connect and feel included
Beyond benefits like health insurance, transportation, we offer you extra perks like:
- A Deezer premium family account for free
- Access to gym classes
- Deezer parties several times a year and drinks every thursday
- Allowance for sports, travelling and culture …
- Meal vouchers
- Great offices always located in dynamic and attractive districts, whether in Paris, London, Berlin or Sao Paulo!
- Hybrid remote work policy
If you want to learn more about life and culture at Deezer, please visit our Welcome to the Jungle page here!