- 220 Chester St, Birmingham B6 4AH, UK
We are the UK’s #1 independent provider of voice, connectivity, mobile, phone system and cloud services.
We help c. 84,000 direct customers – businesses of all sizes and across almost every sector – connect better with their customers, suppliers and teams.
We combine straightforward solutions, including fibre broadband, mobile tariffs and phone systems, with friendly, helpful people to support businesses with their communications needs, now and as they grow. As an independent provider, we work with all of the major telecommunications networks and suppliers, meaning we’ll always get the best deal in the market for our customers.
We are currently recruiting a Java Developer to work within Voice Mobile which is part of Daisy Communications.
This is an exciting role with a strong focus on online mobile phone product sales in the fast paced consumer mobile market.
You will work as a Java Developer within a the mobile team of 60 people on existing recently created active products concerning public facing services, supporting APIs, intra corporate APIs and bespoke CMS/CRM/SOP systems.
Salary: Up to £45,000
Location: Aston, Birmingham
- To specify, design, create, test and then maintain Java8+ based projects.
- Creating test plans and performing validation of code, automated end-to-end testing to incorporate into continious integration pipeline.
- Fault finding and debugging both Java and SQL issues with existing systems and processes.
- Creating, testing and provide initial training for new features to existing systems, but also from time to time 'ad hoc' assignments.
- Role is 80% backend development work and 20% frontend of existing public facing Internet services including ecommerce webstore as well as a number of backoffice systems including bespoke Content Management System / Customer Relationship Management / Sales Order Processing.
- Involvement with Java programming aspects of reporting data from Microsoft SQL based systems.
- Frontend work all around modern HTML5 or better projects that additionally target mobile and tablet devices our customer base is using. Frontend work does not involve heavy creative work and consists more of integrating blocks of design work (HTML/CSS/JS) and then modifying and adding functionily along with creating and then wiring into backend implementation.
- Looking for someone with a self starter attitude that is looking to exceed expectation during delivery.
- Familiar with working with 3rd party API technologies (REST/SOAP) for integration into our systems.
- Ideally candiate should have had career experience contracting or equivalent role which would bring with it excellent communication skills, ability to turn requirements into project plan to then turn that into a delivered project.
- To join an existing IT team whose complentantay skills in other project relevant areas for support when needed.
- Continuing professional development, support provided by inhouse Learning & Development HR function.
- Be vigilant to coding implementation security concerns and possible fraudulent activity within production systems and if necessary raise a security incident report using templates provided.
- To be compliant with the various regulations our workplace and industry operates within (training and details provided).
The Successful candidate will demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, combined with the ability to provide innovative and pragmatic solutions.
- Ability to challenge current methods and processes.
- Self-assured and able to work alone as well as in part of a team.
- Thorough, with meticulous attention to detail.
- Results driven, ability to meet deadlines.
- Proactive and use of initiative.
- 5+ years experience with JavaEE7+ stack utilizing Spring/Hibernate
- 3+ years experience with Microsoft SQL Server, expecting more years maybe from other SQL flavors.
- Demonstrate understanding of the commercial impact of the work you will be doing.
Desirable (experience with would be advantageous):
- Other relevant technologies in use: git/gerrit, maven, Nexus, JUnit/Arquillian
- Other systems you shall consume: JIRA, Jenkins
- Microsoft SQL Reporting Services, SSIS, T-SQL
Why work for Daisy Communications?
We might have more than 500 employees, but we value every single one of them and their contribution which has helped us become one of the UK’s leading business communications providers. Without them, we wouldn’t be where we are and we like to say thank you with benefits and incentives as well as learning and development opportunities to help them grow with us.
- You’ve got an opportunity to join one of the UK’s leading business communications providers
- With us, there’s plenty of opportunities for progression. Our in-house Learning & Development team regularly run training sessions, coach staff and offer the chance to gain career-enhancing qualifications
- We like to reward hard work. We give you access to our fantastic Daisy Deals benefits scheme, as well as a whole host of work incentives – just some of the ways we like to say thank you
- If sales appeals to you or you’re already a seasoned sales professional, our commission structure is extremely competitive and offers fantastic rewards
- We know that the 9-5 isn’t for everyone, so we operate a flexible working policy for our staff
Here are some of the other benefits that we offer…
- 25 days holidays, plus bank holidays, and the option to purchase up to 35 days
- An additional day off on your birthday or if you're getting married
- Eye care vouchers available and discounted Medicash membership
- Access to discounts and savings at more than 1,200 retailers
- Auto enrolment following probation into a salary pension scheme
- Access to exclusive offers on a range of Daisy products