Research Associate (Governance Lab)
Position: Research Associate
Employer: Inclusion Economics Nepal at Governance Lab
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal (with regular domestic travel)
Start date: As soon as possible
Inclusion Economics Nepal is an initiative affiliated with Inclusion Economics at Yale University, founded and based out of the Yale Economic Growth Center and MacMillan Center. Inclusion Economics Nepal is based at, and accountable to, Nepal’s Governance Lab at the Daayitwa Abhiyaan. Inclusion Economics Nepal collaborates with researchers at the Inclusion Economics at Yale University (YIE) team and the London School of Economics to enable inclusive economies and societies through research and policy engagement.
About the project
Federalism in Nepal fundamentally seeks to empower new political and economic actors in order to ensure inclusive growth. Our research project will explore the functioning of federalism to identify the extent to which federalism is achieving the three big changes of successful transition to political inclusion, economic transformation, and leaving no-one behind. Specific research activities will involve a large-scale federalism tracking survey to identify both overall progress on federalism and variation in progress across municipalities, the analysis of administrative and secondary datasets to examine how federalism is influencing public and private good provision, and collaborations with Nepalese counterparts to design evaluations of specific programs to build more practical evidence on what works, what does not and why, in this new context. The research project is at an early stage and will allow the candidate to provide valuable input to shape its direction. The job will be based out of Kathmandu, along with frequent travel to other parts of Nepal.
In collaboration with the research and senior project teams, the Research Associate will be required to:
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation of field-based research (scoping, surveying, project implementation)
- Conduct data cleaning and analysis of multiple primary and secondary data sources.
- Assist in the design and field-testing of scoping and survey instruments.
- Support with writing research outputs such as policy briefs, research articles, etc.
- Seek out and collect administrative data from partners and government agencies.
- Develop and implement appropriate structures and systems for field-based research, including recruitment, training, and field staff supervision; development and oversight of quality control protocols; procurement of supplies; and coordination with local partners
- Review and report on academic literature of requested topics in support of concept notes, policy briefs and research projects.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with officials at all three spheres of government, policy and program partners in academia, civil society etc., as requested.
- Provide appropriate inputs for project management (budgets, reports, etc.) for Inclusion Economics Nepal and for program monitoring and reporting to the management hub at the Inclusion Economics at Yale University
- Others, as required
- Bachelor's degree with at least 1 year of experience with data-based research, preferably in economics, political economy, political science or a related field. Field experience is a plus.
- Strong interest in public policy and economic development in low-income countries.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Nepali and English languages.
- Proficiency in Stata and/or other statistical tools and the Microsoft Office suite.
- Mature, self-directed individual with ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly and frequently to other parts of the country.
- Master's degree in economics, business or a related field, experience with data-based research in Stata and/or other statistical tools is highly desired.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage with partners at various levels.
- Additional local language skills (apart from English and Nepali).
- Prior experience with external stakeholder engagement such as government, donors, development agencies, and/or political parties.
What we offer
- A dynamic and engaging environment within our office in Kathmandu and with internationally acclaimed researchers.
- A competitive salary by local standards.
- Regular travel within Nepal.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please fill out our Screening Questionnaire (open the provided URI below); you will be asked to upload a single PDF containing your CV, cover letter, academic transcripts, and a writing sample. Label your file “Last name, First name – Research Associate”.
To view other open positions, visit the Inclusion Economics Opportunities page.
**Only shortlisted candidates will be notified**