Impact Communication Intern
- Sanepa Heights Rd, Lalitpur 44600, Nepal
The Why: NEPAL aspires to graduate from least developing country to a lower-middle-income country by 2030. However, the development community’s excessive focus today on socio-political empowerment has not yielded the desired economic transformation. In reaching the 2030 national target, shall we wait for institutions of power to become accountably productive or shall we bolster innovations of people to bring inclusive prosperity? And, shall we strengthen grassroots-government collaboration in shaping an equal and enterprising future?
The How: DAAYITWA ABHIYAAN strives for an enterprising Nepal where every individual has opportunities for a prosperous future. Focused on promoting economic empowerment, we aim to nurture an enterprising mindset - which is about working hard, taking risks, and being creative - in development change-agents. Driven by principles of economic justice, community engagement and financial sustainability, the Abhiyaan comprises four organizations.
Daayitwa - an NGO that promotes domestic youth employment by accelerating rural youth entrepreneurs to create jobs and supporting the government to implement evidence-based enterprise development policies
Nepal Leadership Academy - a non-profit company that develops an enterprising mindset in change-agents by growing their leadership and management capabilities.
Governance Lab - a for-profit research firm that enables the government and the private sector to make decisions by conducting evidence-based research and connecting researchers and decision-makers
Daayitwa-US - a US-based non-profit that engages and empowers Nepali diaspora in the US as change agents and strengthens local and global collaboration to promote socio-economic development in Nepal
In the last 8 years, we have accelerated 55 rural youth entrepreneurs (27 women) in 3 provinces (Province 3, 4 and 5) to embrace innovation, access investment, grow income and create employment. Leveraging the grassroots learning, we have supported 120 youth trained in 30 countries around the world to support 40 government organizations and 24 parliamentarians with entrepreneurship and employment policy research. We have conducted more than 60 leadership courses for over 700 participants to build their capacity to lead teams and architect innovative solutions. We have conducted research on various topics such as MSE growth, dignity of labor and COVID19-related financial and health issues in order to support federal and provincial governments to make evidence-based policy decisions. We have organized Nepali diaspora and friends of Nepal to financially support more than 100 NGOs to grow their social impact. At Daayitwa Abhiyaan, we are determined to continue accelerating business, policy and civic entrepreneurs to promote employment, entrepreneurship and economic growth, while shaping a campaign that nurtures an enterprising mindset in the nation.
The What: YOU, as the Impact Communication Intern, will assist the Communications and Outreach Manager to provide results-oriented, strategy-driven management of marketing, communication, and public relations activities of the Daayitwa Abhiyaan.
With supervision from the Communications and Outreach Manager, you will assist in three key functions:
A. Creating and sharing stories of impact
- Conduct phone, online, and in person interviews
- Create and share stories of impact at local, national and international levels
- Formulate lists and follow up on success stories
- Talk with entrepreneurs, trainers and other stakeholders and analyze and report on their struggles, targets and successes.
- Edit and refine impact stories and other similar documents.
B. Developing communications materials
- Assist to strengthen branding through creative interventions, including op-eds, videos, and social media, and consistent use of naming conventions, brand attributes and logos
- Help write, update, and edit production and design of print materials
- Work closely with the Comms team to execute social media campaigns on a variety of web-based platforms
- Contribute to develop graphics design, photography, and other multimedia development and maintain digital media library of multimedia materials for future use
- Support in managing websites, including maintaining the integrity of website content and structure, evaluating report on key web-metrics and utilizing Search Engine Optimization
C. Strengthening strategic outreach
- Provide support to manage and execute email communications, including regular e-newsletters, campaign messages, and fundraising e-appeals
- Assist in creating and managing documentation and database related to external relationships
- Participate in content creation including write-ups, stories, press releases, social media posts, etc.
- Support to coordinate learning and networking sessions, including but not limited to webinars, panel discussions, and talk series
- Assist with fundraising and partnership development activities
- Help to create and maintain electronic mailing lists targeting specific outreach groups
- Prepare briefings, talking points, and other presentation materials for outreach
- Academically compelling, currently pursuing Bachelors in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Organizational Psychology, Social Sciences or relevant fields. Bachelor's completed candidates preferred.
- Relevant experience will be a plus
- Passionately driven by a strong inner calling for economic empowerment of Nepal
- Understanding of social issues related to economic prosperity, gender equality, youth employment and community-driven development
- Outstanding ability to work effectively under pressure and during uncertainties
- Independence in tackling complex problems consistently applying creativity, independent judgment and detail orientation
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal oversight with time management skills
- Excellent writer and orator in Nepali and English
- Working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and/or other design software will be a plus
Compensation: Daayitwa will provide a monthly stipend to the Impact Communication Intern. The rate will be mutually agreed upon, in tune with the level of the required deliverables, the qualifications, and the experience of the candidate.
Procedure: Interested candidates must submit a CV and a cover letter by June 7, 2021.
Click on I'm Interested to send us your portfolio.
**Only shortlisted candidates will be notified**
To learn more about Daayitwa and our work, do visit our Facebook page or our website.