Project Officer ( Entrepreneurship Cluster)
- Sanepa Rd, Lalitpur 44600, Nepal
Nepal strives to graduate from LDC to middle-income country status by 2030. The excessive focus of Nepal’s development paradigm on socio-political empowerment, however, has not yielded the desired economic transformation. In fact, the dismal domestic youth employment has heightened foreign migration, lowered domestic productivity and increased economic dependence on foreign nations. Daayitwa, with a focus on economic empowerment, envisions an enterprising Nepal where every youth has opportunities for a prosperous future and aims to:
- Promote inclusive and enterprise-led economic growth
- Strengthen governance of inclusive enterprise ecosystem
- Bolster community engagement for enhanced employment
Towards these goals, Daayitwa executes three clusters - entrepreneurship, governance and civic engagement. The Rural Enterprise Acceleration Program (REAP), as part of the entrepreneurship cluster, supports rural high-growth entrepreneurs to accelerate their businesses, create jobs and incubate other local entrepreneurs. Leveraging the grassroots enterprise learning, the Public Service Fellowship Program (PSFP), as part of the governance cluster, supports policy entrepreneurs to collaborate with the government, conduct economic policy research and promote evidence-based policy decisions. In linking the grassroots and government level engagements, the Yuwa Aaja! Program (YA!P), as part of the civic engagement cluster, supports civic innovators to promote domestic youth employment through evidence-based policy
REAP has supported 45 business entrepreneurs in 4 districts of Province 3 and Province 5 to accelerate their enterprises. PSFP has supported 99 policy entrepreneurs from 28 countries to collaborate with 28 ministries and public agencies as well as 24 parliamentarians and conduct 99 research projects. Yuwa Aaja! has supported 30 civic entrepreneurs to organize 6 policy campaigns at federal, provincial and local levels on promoting domestic youth employment.
As part of the entrepreneurship cluster, our new project aims to provide incubation services to support female SMEs in Bagmati and Gandaki Provinces (including Dhading, Gorkha and Nuwakot districts) to become investment ready, secure funds and scale up their businesses by adopting sustainable technology/innovation in their business operations. Specific project activities include 1) Reach out to female SMEs in Bagmati and Gandaki Provinces, 2) Incubate female SMEs through lesson sessions to develop their business models into bankable business plans, and make them investment, innovation and market-ready, 3) Ensure that female SMEs secure growth capital (loans, investments or grants) to further their business plans, 4) Support female SMEs to adopt innovative ideas (new technologies, collaborations, improved business models, etc.), 5) Support female SMEs to build business to business (B2B) linkages and networking to expand markets and relationships and 6) Develop a sustainability plan for future implementation of similar programs.
Position Title: Project Officer (entrepreneurship cluster)
Reports to: Project Manager
Based: Lalitpur with frequent field visits
The Project Officer, with supervision from the Project Manager, will be responsible for the
implementation and coordination of various project interventions at project districts (including Dhading, Gorkha and Nuwakot)
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work together with the project team to design and implement various project activities (conducting scoping study, developing curriculum, developing analysis toolkit, screening EOIs, conducting due diligence, etc.)
- Conduct frequent field visits to the project districts and implement and monitor all activities
- Organize and facilitate various events such as awareness programs, orientation workshops, entrepreneurship workshops (including six business incubation training modules) and pitching sessions
- Support female SMEs throughout the process (support to refine business ideas, help prepare to pitch to potential investors, provide backstopping support to adopt innovative ideas, etc.)
- Coordinate, communicate and negotiate with project partners such as local District Chamber of Commerce and Industries (DCCIs)
- Design business and entrepreneurship tools and methodologies for enterprise acceleration
- Identify the right stakeholders, negotiate project implementation strategy with them and network with local authorities
- Collaborate with the communications team in crafting and sharing stories of impact
- Assume roles in new tasks and projects and support key Daayitwa programs
- Bachelors or Masters in finance, business administration, entrepreneurship, economics or other related fields (MBA with finance background preferred)
- Minimum of 1-2 years of relevant professional experience (preferably in the banking sector)
- Understanding of economic, social and gender issues related to entrepreneurship and community-driven development
- Impeccable interpersonal skills, with a proven record of effectively interacting with stakeholders
- Excellent client orientation, diplomatic skills and drive for results
- Demonstrated ability to deliver under pressure in a diverse, uncertain environment
- Strong motivation and organizational/time management skills
- Growth mindset - exceptional willingness to take risks and work hard
- Experience of working in rural districts and/or willingness to do so
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in Nepali and English
Apply Before: 7 June, 2020
Daayitwa will provide compensation to the Project Officer on a monthly rate basis. The rate will be mutually agreed upon, commensurate with the level of the required deliverables, the
qualifications and experience of the candidate. Interested candidates must submit a CV and a cover letter.
To learn more about Daayitwa and our work, do visit our Facebook page or our website.
Click on I'm Interested to send us your portfolio.