Building Envelope Field QC Inspector
- 450 N Brand Blvd, Glendale, CA 91203, USA
DTR is expanding its Building Science Division, specializing in high-performing building envelope systems, forensics and construction observation/inspection services. The Los Angeles Office of DTR Consulting Services, Inc. (DTR) is currently seeking a Building Envelope QC Inspector who love learning and have good social communication skills. This person should have progressive building inspection and construction observation/ monitoring experience working as an architect, field monitor/observer, building enclosure consultant, 3rd party inspector, construction foreman or superintendent in the construction industry. Experience with building envelope/ waterproofing installation and design is MANDATORY. This position will include working with senior building envelope consultants to enforce construction document façade details, waterproofing details and specifications in the field. Person will also work in a professional office on other constructions administration tasks and forensic investigation or site assessment work tasks.
LOOKING FOR THAT NEW JOB THAT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL VALUED…
DTR is seeking professional person with desire to use their engineering education, background and experience in technical position working with our Building Envelope Consultants and Specifiers on high profile projects around the western US, with top firm designers and architects. Commercial, Healthcare, Education, Hospitality, Civic, Retail, Institutional and high-end residential project. Qualified candidates are considered problem solvers with the ability to develop practical and innovative solutions for the built environment, seeking licensure as an Architect or Engineer, or pursuing related industry-recognized professional certifications.
DTR is an exciting and growing company looking for the right brilliant people to help us expand and prosper. We love good architecture, building science, technology, education and care about the people that work for us. Join us and watch your career grow. Work on the type of projects and the environment you always wanted. Our Management style is to hire those who are self-motivated, eager to learn, confident and unafraid to fail. In doing so, we trust in each other's individual performance.
DTR is expanding its Building Science Division, specializing in high-performing building envelope systems, forensics and construction observation/inspection services. The Sacramento & Los Angeles Offices of DTR Consulting Services, Inc. (DTR) are currently seeking a building envelope technician to conduct field observations of building envelope components including: below grade waterproofing, roofing, masonry, flashings, EIFS/plaster, deck waterproofing/coatings, rain screens, tank liners, weather vapor barriers and window framing assemblies for medium-to-large scale multi-family residential, institutional and commercial projects. Candidates must have the ability to clearly understand construction drawings and specifications, and document field observations/inspections in written field reports. Individual must have a good driving record and a reliable personal vehicle and willing to travel. DTR will provide initial training in our methods of operation, but candidates must have solid demonstrated knowledge of building construction and prior field experience with a similar consulting firm.
If your career has not focused on architecture, engineering or building envelope evaluations, please do not apply; you will not be considered.
Office and Field Tasks & Duties Include:
- Perform roofing, waterproofing, and building enclosure field observations, inspections and/or testing as directed and identify installation defects. Familiarity with different roofing, waterproofing, and building enclosure systems is strongly desired.
- Review substitution requests and project material submittals for full compliance with the project specifications.
- Assist on responses to project Requests for Information (RFI’s)
- Prepare field observation reports related to construction activities observed in the field.
- Attend pre-construction and per-installation meetings to verify full coordination between trades and Architect, Owner Representatives, Contractors, Subcontractors, Consultants and other team members.
- Conduct and/or assist with field assessments, design review and observations of construction or testing activities.
- Communicate with and coordinate the installation of waterproofing systems and other exterior enclosure components in accordance with the Contract Documents & manufacturers written instructions.
- Transports equipment, specimens or documents to field personnel, laboratory, clients or other offices. Provide physical assistance in testing equipment set-up.
- Assist other professional staff on field assessments and/or forensic investigations.
- Assist other technicians or professional staff on routine tasks and special projects as required.
Minimum of 4 years of progressive building inspection and construction observation/ monitoring experience working as an architect, field monitor/observer, building enclosure engineer, inspector, foreman or superintendent in the construction industry, related to the building enclosure.
- 2 to 4 year college level education; a degree in architecture, civil engineering or a similar field a plus, or 6 years minimum construction field experience.
- Knowledge of the State of California building codes.
- Proficient at reading construction drawings, specifications, diagrams, test reports and constructions progress schedules
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Reliability, honesty & discretion
- Proficient with Software Microsoft (Word, Outlook, Excel), Bluebeam & Acrobat Pro and others.
- Experience working with contractors architects/engineers, building owners, construction managers in both the field and a professional office environment is a requirement
- Capable of climbing ladders, working at heights on suspended scaffolds, roofs with the highest regard to safety protocols.
- Professional certifications, NCRA, ICC, RRO, BEC or similar certification, including Air Barrier Association of America “ABAA”, ABAA Inspector, Certified EIFS inspector or Certified Thermographer, are a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate office and field equipment. Requirements may also include:
- Working at heights to inspect the building envelope will be required
- Working in the field monitoring the installation and testing of building envelope materials
- Work can be required outside normal business hours and on weekends
- Must be able to walk, stand, lift, climb, pull and navigate through a construction site and work in an office environment
- Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to travel overnight
- Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
Applicants MUST submit a formal Cover Letter outlining how their experience meets the job requirements and what their professional aspirations are. Include an up to date resume, which includes a full career history. Applicants should submit these documents as one (1) PDF file, when possible. Resumes received without a Cover Letter, will NOT be considered.
Compensation: Competitive base compensation plus comprehensive benefits package (Medical, Dental, Vision, Vacation, Personal Time, Sick Days, TOP NOTCH Professional Development Assistance, 401(k) match, Profit Sharing, Performance Bonuses, Paid Holidays, Direct Deposit, Free Parking & Very Very Adventurous Staff Outings)
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEOC guidelines.